𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 10

Auroras POV

I walk into the apartment building with a stupid smile on my face, I probably look so goofy right now, a boy I just met kissed me on the cheek and I don't know how to act.

I take the stairs to my floor just so I can have a little bit more time thinking about Kai before I do anything else, he keeps my mind constantly dazed. My strides become slower as I see our apartment door, I know dad's home because of Snoop dogs Ain't no fun that plays leading right to our door, this is why our landlord hates us, he's always doing dumb shit.

Dad had me when he was young, dumb, and crazy in love with my mother, but mom died while giving birth to me, I never understood it, they had the choice to keep me, or my mom and they both decided to keep me.

I'm left without a mother, dad is left without the love of his life, mom is left without life. It's a lose-lose situation that makes me cringe every time I think too hard about it. The closest thing I have to a mother is my grandmother who lives with Chris, if dad hasn't gotten takeout, then it's likely that we're going over to grandmas for dinner. He can't cook for shit.

Dad's mediocre rapping and dancing is the first thing to hit me when I open the door. "And I promise baby, I'll give ya a call- oh hey sweetie how was your last first day of high school?" 

I don't smell any takeout, we must be going over to grandmas, nice. "School was really good," I say while putting my backpack down on the floor and taking a seat on the couch, the huge smile on my face that I still couldn't get rid of tells dad the truth.

"That's nice, you look a little out of it though, did someone give you drugs?" His comment threw me off, he said it with such normalcy like this has happened before, if he suspects I am on drugs you'd think he'd be concerned. 

"No, I just had a really good day today dad," I laugh. He nods his head and smiles at me. I'm always able to tell dad everything that I couldn't tell anyone else, I told him about all my crushes and kisses, all my fears and secrets. He knew everything and still didn't judge, he recognizes that I am growing up and if he didn't let me have freedom, I would find freedom anyway.

We talked about our day because that's the only thing that we weren't caught up on, we had spent the whole of summer together aside from when we worked.

Last year I had picked up a job at Barnes and Noble's and it was probably one of the best things to happen to me, I was working $14.35 an hour every day for the whole summer, but now that I'm at school, I'm only working every other day on weekdays and long shifts on the weekends. 

"Honey we're going to have to go to grandmas for dinner tonight." I nod my head at dads words I expected us to already be there by now to be honest. We take a short walk to the apartment door right beside ours, grandma wanted to be close to dad just so she could check up on how he was doing with a dead wife and a new baby. I don't know if she wanted a next-door neighbour close, but that's what she got.

When we get to her home Chris isn't home, he's probably sleeping over at Denny's house tonight, they've been doing that a lot more recently.

Grandma is in the middle of her small kitchen singing along to the gospel music she forced me to record from last Sunday service, she is forever doing that then comes to me asking me why her phone storage is all taken up.

She greets us with big smiles then hands us our food showing us out the door. "We can't stay over for dinner now?" Dad asks confusing written all over his face.

Grandma frowns. "No, you may not, I have a date with Robert Freeman today," she says proudly. We smirk at each other; I had set this date up for them when I met Mr Freeman and his grandchild at work, I won't be telling dad that though.