Chapter 18 || Kusuo's POV

She looked nervous, twiddling her thumbs. I could tell there was something she really wanted to ask me, but she didn't look like she knew how to. After being harassed by a maid, I was ready to eat my coffee jelly and leave.

"Why'd you really want to come here?" I asked her, resting my cheek on my hand.

"Well... why not?" She replied, eyes searching everywhere but the person in front of her. I sighed, reminding her that I was a psychic. Lying wouldn't do her any good... though if she did lie, I couldn't exactly know for sure. Y/n didn't seem like a good liar so I was probably safe.

"Well... I wanted you to..."

"Well, you want...?" I made a reeling in motion with my hand, signaling for her to spit the damn sentence out. The maid swung back around and delivered waters. I picked a glass up and lifted it to my lips, calculating the liters I would be able to chug before this moron finally finishes her sentence.

Just as I got 10 milliliters down the hatch, she finally spoke up.

"Teach me!"

The water came back up my throat. Teach? Did I hear that right? I started to cough, taken aback.

"Sorry!" I swiped the paper towels she plucked from a dispenser and wiped my mouth. "What?" I asked.

I stabled my expression and searched for truth in her expression. She seemed to be battling something again. Like all the other times she concentrated, her eyebrows were slightly furrowed and her lips shifted to the left, like she was biting her cheek. The average person probably would have not noticed it. Nendou, I can say for sure, wouldn't.

"I mean- show me. I want to see more of your powers.?"

My eyebrows dropped. Lies, again? I wasn't stupid. Good grief; females were so indecisive. Still, we almost got somewhere. I believe Y/n was finally opening up to me about her powers... 

I decided to play along. I didn't want to startle her anymore. "What were you really asking? Teach you? To do what?" Well, it slipped out. I wasn't that patient.

This was fun, though. I leaned in to pressure her, but the only thing I got out of it was a heated remark. Blushing cheeks, too. I could see why most people find it cute.

"Stop testing me; you always exceed your boundaries," she snapped at me. 

Pardon me for wondering." I sat back and crossed my arms, looking away. I guess I wasn't the only one who could read facial expressions, though, because she stated abruptly, "Don't overreact." When I looked back at her, she was glaring.

"You're the one who's getting red. Good grief. Does close contact really startle you like that?" 

She denied the possibility of blushing on my part. Of course the stubborn brat claimed it was of anger, but her heart beat told different. 

"I can hear heartbeats too, you know," she muttered. My eyes grew. Was that a slip up? I glanced back at her and her lips were glued shut, eyes staring at the table.

"No, sure." The maid came by and I claimed both cups just as she reached for one. She was awfully slow... even if she did have powers,  she was still pretty unathletic. She began to bark my name but I cut her off.

"Not so fast. We almost got somewhere. Tell me what you were going to say." I threatened to eat her coffee jelly. It inched towards my mouth, which was watering in anticipation.

"Are you gonna freak out and choke on your water like last time?"

Okay, she was talking. If she were in my shoes at that time she probably would have choked AND died. I muttered for her to go on, sliding a spoon into my cup of jelly.