Chapter 37 || Y/n's POV

We positioned ourselves at the pit of the mount. It was a jagged crack that slowly began glowing a hot orange. This time it would be opposite of our practice, instead of coming from the sky if would be shooting out from under us.

"Make sure you focus. The pressure is extremely immense and it might knock you back some, so be ready." Kusuo told me.

"You'd better absorb the shock. I'm not trying to get flung away."

"Oh, please. You're not that lightweight. As long as you can stand your ground you'll be fine. Just brace yourself."

"What if I can't?"

"Then you're beta."

"Kusuo!"

"Relax, okay? Good grief. Freaking out won't help the situation."

He reached out a hand.

"Here, hold on to me. It'll be any minute now."

I intertwined my fingers with his and tried to settle down the butterflies in my gut. Were they from this mission or from holding hands?

"Can you calm down, I said? You're shocking the hell out of me."

I took in a deep breath after shooting him a glare. He took a crouch so I bowed alongside. Suddenly the ground started shaking. i heard a fizzing sound coming from underneath the earth. Tightening my grasp on Kusuo, I concentrated on sensing the rumbles and preparing myself for the burst.

I wasn't ready. The crack was harshly ripped wider, the jagged opening zipping wide across the land before my eyes. Kusuo tugged on me as if to keep focus. The smoke came first a burst of hot vapor blasting my body, burning my palms. I could tell he was using his powers to keep us from burning alive while also absorbing the power. He passed it onto me all the same while. I felt it flow into my palms and flick off my fingertips. I pulled the energy to my left side and planted my feet into the dirt. I could hear Kusuo straining as he controlled the rumbling and protection of us.

I poured the energy out of my hand after focusing the energy into one beam. I fired it into the volcano and heard a sizzing and bubbling.

"Shit, it's expanding. You've got to control the shock while I try to close it?" Kusuo shouted from beside me.

"What?! That wasn't the plan!"

"Theres no choice! The lava is going to spill if the cracks aren't sealed!" He yelled.

I screamed fine and felt the ground rumble violently, Kusuo relaxing his. control. I closed my eyes and tried to calm the panicked thoughts. I attmpted to remember my experiences with absorbing. Right- I'd absorbed the energy from the carnival ride that day I'd smashed Aiura. All I had to do was focus on the energy emitted from the quake and absorb it before it reached the surface. I gripped the dirt with my hands for a steady plant and focused on equilizing the quakes. Sure enough, I felt the warmth of energy soak into my palms and the shaking of the earth slightly lighten.

I glanced up at Kusuo to see him pulling the earth together with his telekinesis. A light gloss of sweat coated his forehead on little beads. His wet pink hair cling in strings, and he reached a hand to wipe off a drop from his brow. He glanced at me and gave me a reassuring nod and I fell back into mission mode. There was no time to be simping over him when such a situation was occuring below me.

I created a cycle of pulling in the power, swapping it to the left of my body, and blasting it into the crack. However, each time I did this, it cracked the opening wider so I kept moving along the line while Kusuo followed, sealing it the best he could. Still, there was nothing to follow in the cracks as the smoke wafted on into view from a local village. More people would be finding out soon, and I knew Kusuo couldn't focus on more than 3 situations requiring his power at once. Eventually the rumbling calmed, but I still heard bubbling from within. Kusuo stepped back, painting from exhaustion. I sighed seeing his rest and figured it was over. We'd saved Japan?