Chapter 30 || Mikoto's Flashback

There had only been two special auras I'd ever seen in my life. The first one belonged to a beautiful girl encountered in my younger years. Her aura was shaped like a pair of angel's wings and shone brightly along with her glorious radiance. I mean, seriously- the girl had supernatural beauty. But her eyes shone with something colder. The dark feathers scattered throughout her wings hinted at a darker side. The problem was, she was too good at acting. Maybe she had even fooled herself into believing the mask of perfection she wore was real. Still, something was off, and upon reencounting her, my vibe alarm went off.

The second incredible aura was discovered in junior high. It was Y/n's, back when she was still Kayo Hinashi- the quiet girl who sat at the back of the classroom. To others it would seem like she didn't want to be noticed. Her aura told a different story; it was full of life and a magic sort of energy. It seemed to restrain itself from it full potential. I was drawn to her secrets, and so I inevitably friended her.

Kids were bombarding me with questions. I mean, I liked helping people, but was swarming me really necessary? Ugh.

"Who has the strangest aura here?" someone asked. I smirked, ready for the challenge. There were a few wonky auras here and there, but none really stood out. Still, there seemed to be a clouded area in the corner of my vision.

"What is bugging?" I mumbled, reaching up to rub my eye. "Ack! My contacts-"

Upon turning, I noticed her in the back of the classroom. As Y/n's e/c irises came in contact with mine, she quickly turned to gaze out the window. Her aura's color morphed into a magenta-violet, signifying a change in emotion: nervousness or panic. My eyes widened as I took in the sight of her magnificent aura. It had possibly been the biggest, most complex I'd seen. But other than that, I couldn't quite tell anything more irregular about her. Her spirit animal seemed to be a f/a. Nothing too strange... but she didn't have a guardian spirit.

Guardian spirits were important because humans were incapable of protecting themselves from otherworldly beings such as paranormal or other dimensional species. For instance, dreams are connections to the future or a glimpse of other dimensions. When the conscious becomes aware of these things, the guardian angel may kick them out of the dream in order to protect them. They also protect you from getting possessed.

Anyway, the basics are regular humans require a guardian angel. Unless she was extremely powerful, she would have one. Her face was clear of the mark of death so a tragically soon fate was out-ruled as well. I knew I had to become her friend. If there was any gal too nosy for her own good, it was me. Of course a psychic had to know the unknown; I mean the thought of being in the dark was just too ridiculous. And so, I approached her.

~

"Kaiya-chan, when are you going to explain your crazy aura?" I blurted one day, braiding her long hair under a swaying cherry blossom tree that occasionally sprinkled pink petals over us.

"I told you, Aiura, there's nothing special about me."

"That's a lie, and we both know it. You can trust me, y'know."

"What do you expect me to say? That I'm some goddess from another dimension?"

"No, just the truth." I sighed dramatically. "You're just too mean to me, Kaiya-chan."I pulled out my crystal ball and peeled a gem and several stickers away so I could actually see.

"What are you doing?" she mumbled, twisting herself around to face me. Her dark hair's braid softly melted into shiny waves.

"You know how I often share my abilities with you?" I asked, drawing in an experimental power.