Chapter 28 || Flashback

Y/fn. P.O.V

It was the first year of Junior High. I was the new kid. As I walked into the classroom, I felt anxiety and unease. My parents had warned me to stay away from the other kids. We'd just found out about my powers, which was why I'd moved from my home country to Japan.

"It'll be good for you," assured my mom, brushing my hair as I sat on the bed of their bedroom.

"Yes, a new start," added my dad.

"You've got to remember you're not like them."

"You have to be extra careful when you're around them. It's for your safety."

"We'll keep you safe, you just have to listen."

I wondered why I couldn't be normal. Why I was born like this... why I had to be lonely. As I took a seat in the back, I observed the other kids. I was jealous. The girls chatted with their friends, whispering and braiding each other's hair. The boys laughed loudly, budging one another and throwing crumpled up paper.

Safe. Happy. In their own little world, own rightful niche. They avoided me, sneaking a glance every few minutes or so and whispering things. I wanted to know what. I wanted to be a part of it. Something. To be wanted, accepted, needed. I wanted it so bad, I must have manifested it.

The classroom was serene, just playful but soft. It was not boring nor chaotic, but when she entered, the room lit up.

"Sorry I'm late!" piped up the cheerful voice as the door slid open. The classroom hushed and turned their heads to her. There she was, tan skin; unkempt wavy sun-bleached brown hair. Her eyeshadow was sloppily applied, glittering a purple fading to magenta. Stickers adorned her face and jewelry wrapped about her.

"What a drag, honestly," she muttered, holding a hand to her eye and extending her hand that held a glassy orb. Her fingernails were long, painted with pink and rough with rhinestones. With her dramatic makeup and shirt stretching against her bigger chest, she looked much older than a junior high student.

She tapped the glass and held it to her eye.

"Ugh, no use," she sighed dramatically, "how am I supposed to know whether to wear my rain boots or bedazzled heels?!"

The boys, taking notice of her, quickly swarmed around to see the fuss. Girls joined in in curiosity of her style. I wanted to get a closer look myself but knew better.

"What's with your makeup?" one girl asked.

"How are your boobs so big?" asked another.

"Are you a gyaru?"

"Is this even allowed?"

"Can I touch-"

"Slow your roll!" The strange girl hushed everyone. "I mean honestly, have some respect here."

She took on a pose and then spoke up in her bubbly voice again, "Well, gals, I'm Mikoto Aiura! I'm a psychic! And a fabulous one at that. Fetch, if I might even add."

At that I payed closer attention. A psychic? Could it actually be?

"Really?"

"No way."

"What!"

"Tell us more!"

"Prove it!"

"Chill, chill. Look: here's the deal, its supposed to be a secret. But I'll show you something for a buck or two."

I shook my head. There was no way she was actually someone with powers. A con artist, most likely.