Chapter 17 Break Up

"I really need your help. I want Stacey to like me, just like she does with you."

Lucy was pleading her with big puppy eyes, and Paige had no idea what to do. It was clear that neither or Dylan would stop, and maybe if she gave them something they would stop insisting.

"I get along with Stacey because we are both into fashion, that is something we have in common.It helps us connect."

Lucy's eyes shone as if she has been told the key to happiness. It seemed as if something inside her head clicked.

" Thank you, I really appreciate your help."

Paige nodded and walked away. Dinner was served and even though the food was delicious she wondered if what she told Lucy was enough and neither her or Dylan would keep asking her for help. She decided to focus her attention on Stacey, she looked glorious with her red  long dress. Stacey was the closest she ever had to having a mother, and was flattered such an elegant hardworking woman had invited her. As dinner was coming to an end she gave a hug to Stacey who hugged her as well. 

"Want to join me for a drink?" Jesse said as he opened the car door for her.

"At this time?" she asked looking her watch. It was almost ten o'clock.

"Are you feeling tired? If that's the case I'll take you to the campus. If not I would like you to join me.It would be an honor to have your company. "

"Sure, let's go for a drink. " she said nodding her head.

Jesse took her to a bar not far from the campus. They sat together as he made signs to the bartender and whispered something in his ear. The bartender came moments ago with two drinks, a pink orangish one with a cherry on top and a margarita with a lime wedge on a side.Jesse pushed the one with a cherry close to her.

"I ordered you a Shirley Temple, it's non alcoholic. If you want to change just tell me." he said as he sipped his margarita.

"Thank you,you seem quite familiar with the bartender. Are you a regular client here?"

"You can say that, I come here when I want to be on my own.Away from everything.Specially from modeling, I enjoy it, but it can be exhausting.Has it ever happened to you? That you want to just separate from the world?"

"Lately it has been the opposite for me, I sort of feel lonely away from home. Guess it must be because I miss my friends and my dad, I'm quite thrilled to go home for Thanksgiving."

"You know you can count on me, for anything you need. " he answered placing his hand on hers gently.

"Thanks Jesse, you have been a great support for me.By any chance, do you know a place where I can buy a sewing machine? I was going to ask Stacey tonight but ii forgot to ask her."

"No worries, I can ask around. You must be itching to design something, right?"

"I am, I have done some sketches and I want to see them for real. I hope I can be a great designer someday, just like Stacey. "

"Why be like her when you can be better?" he asked looking at her intensely.

" What do you mean?"

" I understand your admiration for her, she is a famous designer who has done everything on her own. But as much as you admire her you should be the best version of yourself, not of her. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

" I do. Thank you." she answered smiling at him.

" Just promise me you won't forget me when you become a famous designer."

" I won't. " she smiled and looked roen. "Tell me about yourself. What do you when you don't model?"

" I am in culinary school. I want to be a chef someday. I enjoy modeling, but it is a temporary job to me. Maybe some night you can come to my place and I can cook for you."

"That would be delightful.We should toast to that, our future goals. Me being a designer and you a chef." she answered raising her drink.

He clinked his glass with hers.

Since their failed date, Dana was avoiding all contact with Jeremy, calls and text messages. Part of it was  because she was angry, but it had to do as well because she didn't know what to say to him. She knew long distance would be a challenge, but not  that much. She was in her room, laying on her bed staring at roof. She heard a knock on her door. It was probably her dad telling dinner was ready.

" I'll be down in a while."

"Hey sis, it's me." Monica said hugging her sister.

" I didn't know you were coming."  Dana said sitting on the bed and returning the hug.

" I thought it would be a nice surprise.Is everything okay? You look sad sis."

" I had a fight with Jeremy. We planned an online date, and he forgot about it. Instead he was going out that night to celebrate a friend's birthday. A girl's."

" Sorry to hear that, are you okay?" Monica said placing her hands on her sister's shoulders.

"No, I just don't know how to feel or what to do. I love Jeremy, but at the same time I feel I'm fooling myself with this relationship.I thought we could we could do this together."

Dana started crying and Monica wrapped her with her arms into an affectionate hug.

" Let it all go, Dana."

"What should I do? What would you do in my place?" she asked while cleaning her eyes.

" I can't tell what to do, but whatever you decide I have your back, and so do Mom and Dad. From experience I can just tell you that no break up is easy, since feelings are involved. When my first boyfriend Eric broke with me, I was devastated. I loved him. And it hurt, but I learned a break up is like grief, and you go through the same stages as it. It is hard at first but you accept it and you move on. Just want to make it clear I am not telling you to break with him, iy am just sharing some older sister advice."

" Wow, that's deep. I had no idea you were so wise."

" What can i say, I have learned stuff through life.Just take your time and think on what you want to do."

The conversation with Monica made Dana feel better, and knew what to do. After dinner with her family she Made a phone call to Jeremy.

" Dana, thanks for calling. I want you to know that I'm deeply sorry and I'll make it up to you."

"Jeremy, we have to be honest with ourselves. This is not working, it's better if we just end this."

" Wait, are you breaking up with me?Please don't, I love you.And i know you love me too. We can get this past this."

Dana felt a knot on her stomach when he heard him say that, but it was not the moment for her to let emotions get the best of her.

" I love you too, but that is not enough. Distance has become between us, and it's not your fault or mine. I want to let you know I'll appreciate every moment we had together. I just hope we can continue being friends." Dana said trying to hold the tears.

"Is there something I can do to change your mind?"

" No." She said almost in a whisper.

She could hear his breath through the phone.

" I understand. I wish you the best Dana, and thanks for everything."

" Same. Take care."

They both hanged at the same time and she let the tears that she was holding. She would have never thought she and Jeremy would break up, but it happened and she needed to move on. She grabbed her phone and texted Amy telling her everything. Fifteen minutess later Amy was ringing the doorbell and checked on her friend. Dana hugged her as soon as she saw her come inside the room.

"I'm here for you.Anything you need just say it." Amy said comforting her.