Chapter 1 Engagement Ring

"So, have you spoken to Jeremy?" Amy asked Dana as both agree to have lunch and update on their lives. It had been two months since their high school graduation but they felt it had been longer. Both Jeremy and Paige traveled to start at their respectives universities, UCLA and MIT. Dana would soon start her classes on University of Florida and Amy would start online classes on Kaiser, and both wanted to use their time to chat before they were busy with their classes.Dana was interested in getting a degree in English Literature, while Amy decided for Marketing.

"He's getting used to the new environment. New people, new friends. But he's well. Have you spoken with Connor?"

"Briefly. He told me he wants to enter Alpha Delta Phi, the same fraternity where his father was a member. "

"I see, Rush week will start soon then. But since he's a legacy he'll do quite well that's huge in Greek life. Have you heard about Paige? I wrote her an email last week but I have not received an answer." Dana said drinking her soda.

"Neither have I, Paige must be quite busy then. "

"Probably. I miss them.It feels akward. "

"Me too, we should all agree on connecting on Skype and talk with each other. " Amy said taking a bite of her burger.

"Same. I miss the foursome."

Since she had memory it had always been her and Dana, then they met Paige and Jeremy. Now it was Dana and her again.Maybe they would eventually get used to the change, meanwhile they would look for the way to not lose their friendship, the four of them promised it after their graduation. She stayed with Dana for another hour before going home both of them wanting to know about Paige and Jeremy.

Amy arrived and Sean was ironing one of his formal shirts, meaning he was going out. She looked at it and it was new, since she never saw Sean wearing it before.

" What is the special ocassion?" she asked.

" In going out to dinner with Hannah. There is pizza and fried chicken on the fridge."

" Don't worry, I'll be fine. At what time is your dinner date?"

" Seven. How was Dana?" He said ironing the right sleeve of his shirt.

" Good. Just missing Jeremy a bit."

" I believe you miss Connor too. How is he?"

" Busy. He's trying to get into the same fraternity his father was a member of.We are skyping later." 

" Tell him Isaid hi."

"I will. Enjoy your dinner with Ms. Reynolds. "

"You are no longer at Mackenzie, you can call her Hannah now. "

"I know, it's an old habit."

Amy got in her bedroom and turned on her laptop connecting on Skype to chat with Connor. He appeared wearing a red shirt with stripes on the sleeves.His hair looked a bit longer.

"Hey Sugarpie, how have you been?" He asked with a huge smile on his face. 

"Missing you, but now that I see you much better. I'm starting online classes next week. What about you?"

"Classes are fine for now, but since Rush week is starting the social events like mixers and parties are going to be daily. Both fraternities and sororities plan these events, it's a chance to know more about Greek life."

"Sororities too?" she asked with nervousness on her voice. She tried not to show it but failed. 

"Yes. Some sororities get along better with some fraternities. I'll be friendly to everyone, say hi, have a drink or two but nothing else. You have nothing to worry about. I wished you would be here with me. " He said sighing. 

"I know, distance has been hard.But we are going to make it through." 

"Of course. I'll be visiting for the holidays, and we're going to enjoy everyday. Tell me, how are your friends?"

"They have been busy as well, i have Dana with me but I do miss Jeremy and Paige. "

"I get it, I have barely spoken with my friends.But everything will get better. We are getting adjusted to this change."

They spoke for another hour, until she noticed he was tired and started yawning and told him to go to bed.She received an email notification on her phone and pressed it to see who the sender was. She smiled when seeing who wrote her. 

From: paigestewart_20@gmail.com

Subject: Hi, how are you?

Hi Amy, 

I hope you are doing well, it has not been easy for me to get used to life in university. But I'm doing my best. My roommate's name is Jessica, and she seems nice, even though we are opposites. She likes to party and go out while I'm more reserved, you know me well. Either way I believe we will get along. I miss my sewing machine so much, I wasn't sure if to pack it or not but now I fully regret it not taking it here with me.I'll buy a new one when I have a chance, specially since i have been working on some sketches and  I'm itching on being able to work on them. 

Enough about me, how have you been? Have you started classes already? I have heard online classes can be a bit tough but I know you'll do great, and luckily Sean can help you. When you speak with Connor tell him I said hi, can't imagine the pressure he feels studying at Yale. I hope everyone is doing fine.  We'll keep in touch. X0

                                                                                           Paige

Amy was about to reply when her stomach suddenly grumbled, and went to kitchen to find something to eat. At the same moment Sean was coming out with a black suit and smelling of cologne, shampoo, and shaving beard. It was clear he was trying to look out his best, usually when he out with Ms. Reynolds he would try to look good, but this time seemed different. Amy wondered if it was a special anniversary for them or something like that. 

"How do I look ?" He asked. 

"Handsome. May I ask what is the special ocassion?" she answered and looking him up and down. 

"Why would you ask that?" He asked chuckling. 

"Common, look at yourself. You have never cleaned up yourself like this before, is it an anniversary or any other special date for both of you? Is it her birthday?"

"No Aims, it's just dinner.See you later. " He said kissing her on the cheek , grabbing his phone and leaving locking the door. 

Amy opened the fridge taking out the milk and serving herself a glass, when she noticed a small velvet box on the kitchen counter. Sean must have forgotten it with his hurry, so she grabbed it and walked to the door to catch him and give him the box. She was walking towards the door when her curiosity got the best of her and opened the box, to see if what was inside, probably a pair of earrings, judging by the size. But she stopped when she found what was inside. A silver ring layed inside but judging by the round diamond cut and its appearance it was not any type of ring. It was an engagement ring. Sean was going to propose to Ms. Reynolds that night and didn't say anything to her. The door was opened in that moment making Sean stop when he saw his sister holding the ring. They both stared at each other without saying a word.