20.8

Chapter 20 (Part Eight)

Hector said he needed to buy some supplies so I accompanied him to town. My father even gave him permission to use the truck even though he cannot use his own car mainly because he crashed it while driving under the influence. My parents have been so trusting to a guy they just met while I, on the other hand needs to beg for their permission to go out during the weekends.

We were walking along the sidewalk when I saw Jessie and his boys strolling like they own the road. Jessie was the school bully and I was one of their favorite target to their maltreatment. I let my head down and faced the pavement hoping that none of them would notice me.

"Hey faggot, that your boyfriend or some paid callboy?" Alas! I was wrong. I bit my lip when I heard Jessie trying to provoke me. I chose to ignore him like I usually do but Hector decided to stop and entertain him. "The name's Hector and I'm not a callboy." he said.

Jessie snickered. "Hector? Like the pornstar? Then I'm right. You are a callboy." His minions cackled like laughing hyenas.

Hector was about to rebut him but I grabbed his arm to keep us from walking instead of wasting our time entertaining a human garbage. Things were about to end but then Jessie couldn't keep his mouth shut and persisted to annoy us. "Make sure to use protection or else you'll spread the gay virus."

In a swift moment, I heard the clattering sound of a metallic object. I looked back and saw Hector with a curled fist and Jessie lying on the ground with a crumpled trash can.

Jessie immediately rose and attempted to tackle my companion but Hector grabbed him by the collar and slammed him on the wall.

"What makes you think you can just spout offensive things from that dirty little mouth of yours?" Hector asked in a threatening manner. He must be clutching the collar of his shirt too tightly because Jessie started to choke while desperately trying to wiggle his way out from his grip. The minions just watched as their leader began to lose air.

"Do you think it makes you tough when you bully someone? Is that why you're doing it?" the minions and I just kept on exchanging glances since nobody knows what to do.

I saw Jessie turning blue but it looks like Hector has no plans on putting him down. "Hector, let go of him!" I screamed.

Finally, someone saw the commotion and yelled to call our attention "Hey!" we heard someone say.

"Hector, let's go!" I called and beckoned for him to run. Before the adult could come closer to the scene, we have already dispersed and went our separate ways.

Once we have reached a safer area, I stopped from my tracks and leaned both my hands on my knee to catch my breath. I heard Hector laugh beside me.

I glared at him. "What's funny?" I asked. He probably lost his mind.

"You shoud've seen the look on his face." he said in between his laugh.

"Yeah, you look like you're gonna murder him." To be honest I was also a bit scared because he suddenly became like a different person when he got angry.

"I was expecting for a thank you and you're welcome by the way, that guy won't bother you anymore." he answered casually.

I stared at him seriously. "What were you gonna do if nobody noticed us?"

"What do you think?" he returned the question back to me.

"I was asking you."

"Please" He dismissed. "It was just a harmless threat." I was about to rebut his statement but then he changed the topic. "Anyway, why does everyone thinks my name sounds like a pornstar?"

"Do you really wanna know?"

"Yes."

"Then follow me." I led the way and continued walking until we have reached the fiendish part of town where all sorts of illegal transactions usually occur.

"What the f-" Hector cursed when I pointed at an adult video store where the display window shows a cutout picture of a shirtless stud in a bad fireman costume. The name Hector was plastered all over the place from the abundant video collections to various novelty merchandise such as shirts and mugs.

"You see, your name is iconic in the adult video world."

He mumbled something incomprehensible.

"What's that?" I asked.

"I said do you wanna watch his films?" he then wiggled his eyebrows up and down.

"Eww, no." I said in disgust. Just as I looked behind his back, I saw a familiar face. Dammit, among all people I know I saw my most bigoted, racist, homophobic and the worst teacher I ever had. She once reprimanded me for having a dirty shoes and even managed to insult my whole existense because of a muddy sole. Today is my lucky day I guess. Two bullies in a row.

She was walking towards our direction and so I did the most reasonable thing to do, to flick her off.

Just kidding but how I wish. I, instead used Hector as a human shield to avoid judgement from my middle aged Karen of a teacher.

"What the heck are you doing?" Hector questioned. I held on his arms as a way to tilt his body everytime Ms. David got closer.

"Shhh!" I shushed him. I don't want my judgy teacher to see me standing in front of an adult video store. I know I'll never hear the end of it and she'll probably shame me for lusting over some pornographics materials which I did not even do. Also with the fact that she can't keep her mouth shut from spreading fake news during PTA meetings.

I heard her footsteps stop behind Hector. Holy fuck! She probably recognized me as one of her student and she wants to see the identity of her next town gossip topic. I buried my face in Hector's chest. I cannot let the old witch view my face. Hector didn't move and I'm thankful for that. With all the things that's happening, I finally noticed the faint smell of his cologne mixed with his natural odor which smells so masculine and nice. I felt my heartbeat accelerate and it's not because of fear but because of excitement. Realization hits me like bugs on a windshield.

I heard Ms. David express his disapproval by making a syllabic sound before finally moving on to her business while mumbling 'fucking faggots'.  I estimated that she already left before I separated myself to Hector then I started walking away without saying anything, never minding which direction to take. I heard Hector call me but I continued on my way.

"Mike!" he yelled. He sprinted until he finally caught up with me. "You alright?" He asked with concern in his eyes.

I stared at him. Stop being so perfect, my mind formulated as a reply but instead, I just gaped like a total idiot.

"Hey Hector!" our attention was diverted when someone called him.

"Yes, Rick?" Hector replied. I looked down and grimaced behind their back.

"We're just finishing some parts on you car. You can pick it up anytime by tomorrow." I suddenly froze when I heard Rick mention that they're done with the repair. It dawned on me that even though I'm enjoying Hector's company, someday he will pack up and leave. I always despised it when someone you're used to seeing and talking will one day disappear from your routine. The after effects of missing someone usually last long especially when that person left an impression on you.

"I'll see to it that we're going through with our agreement." Hector said.

"So we'll expect you tomorrow?"

Hector glanced at me before answering him. "I don't know. Let's see."

Rick tapped his shoulder. "I hope we'll see you. We barely have a space in the shop right now." he said jokingly and laughed before going on his way.