10

Chapter 10

I followed Mr. Black until we reached the board room. Hundreds of stacked boxes are on the floor and there are still some men unloading from the utility dolly. What's happening?

"These are the books of our business portfolio. Others are still coming and now we need to arrange everything in order for tomorrow. My father is coming to inspect everything from every income and expenses." It sounds like he doesn't like his father that much for there is a hint of hatred in his voice.

"Why now?" I can't help but ask since it's now 3:00 in the afternoon and we need to sort through this mess for tomorrow.

"I don't know. Ask him. It's one of his surprise visit to know how well I'm doing in the business."

"Okay, What do I need to do?" I reviewed all the boxes in the room and there are different boxes labelled with different logos. How rich are the Blacks? 

"I need you to review and sort every files from our different subsidiaries, make a summary of our top performers, the one we need to write off and did we have an increase of the net income comparing from the past year. If possible, review the year to date and month to date sales of Black Industries as a whole." The what? He said many things but all I understood was files. Damn. Even if I stay all night, I think we will not finish this tonight.

"Will anybody help us through these files?" The amount of papers in this room is really overwhelming.

"No one. These files are already audited but it's up to us to make the summary. Everything in this room are confidential but I trust you enough to gain access to our portfolio. Now start digging into these boxes instead of complaining." he handed me a box which he easily carried but it almost broke my back when I received it.

I started opening the box and some of them are just full of supporting documents of their financial statement so I just left them aside once I got all the information I need but some of them are just plain idiotically sent without an ending summary which makes you wonder why they sent it in the first place. I have to make their own summary even if I don't have a knowledge on how to do it but at least I tried. I even used Google for answers and took a crash course in business documents.

I look at Mr. Black, he's really serious about this matter. And I should too. I didn't noticed the time but I know that it's already evening since the sky is now dark. My head is starting to hurt from data overload but I really need to finish this for the meeting tomorrow.

"Here. You deserve a break." a coffee was placed beside me and I saw Mr. Black standing alongside my chair. He was holding another coffee in his hand.

"Thank you sir." I expressed my gratitude and took a sip from the coffee. I really am thankful to him because I do really need this. I cannot count how many coffee I have drank since this morning but all I know is that my body needed a caffeine in my system right now. 

"Do you want me to bring you a snack?" Mr. Black asked me. 

I stopped blowing on my coffee. Mr. Black is showing a bit of kindness right now. You know what's surprising? I think  he is showing a real gesture of concern.

"No it's okay. I want to continue on my work as soon as possible." I replied.

"Am I working you too much?" he questioned me as he moved the chair beside me to sit on it. "It's okay to be honest."

"No sir. It's fine actually since I don't have much to do at my apartment besides watching TV or reading the newspaper."

"Your life sounds so boring. Don't you have anything to else to do besides those?" Of course he'll find it boring. Comparing to his likes and hobbies, I cannot do those.