20.4

Chapter 20 (Part Four)

"Let me help you with that." Hector offered when he saw me carry the grocery bags all at once. I think it is a universal law that it is better to suffer from carrying a bundle of grocery bags all in one trip than return again but with shame. 

"No. It's alright. I got this." 

I most certainly do not got it. One of the bags gave out and now several goods are on the ground.

"Thank you." I said when he started to pick up all that fell on the ground.

When we both entered the house, I  thanked him once again and started to sort the supplies while Hector went back to his room. After finishing my task, I returned to the mini reception area and amended his records. The payment, I gave to my mother.

"So where's our guest now?" my mother asked.

"I think he's upstairs." I replied.

"Doing what?"

I shrugged. "I don't know." 

"Listen, why don't you go upstairs and invite him for a little trip." she suggested.

"But mom. He might be resting." or doing something I don't like to witness if you know what I mean.

"Nonsense! And what do you think he might be doing upstairs. He decided to stay here for the week, I don't think he would love to spend it all week inside his room." as usual, before I could contest to her request, she started pushing me up the stairs.

"You don't know that. Maybe he likes to spend his time in private. Who knows, he might be doing a guy thing you know."

"Come on now, don't be silly." she shook her head but then whispered sometime later. "Knock if you have to." 

"Fine. Just stop pushing me." my mother smiled with her victory and waved goodbye before disappearing in sight. 

Here we go again. I knocked three times and waited for his response.

"Yes?" he said

"Can I come in?"

"Okay."

I turned the knob and found him busy with his personal belongings. 

"Do you want to get out for a while. I could be your guide." I offered.

"Sure. I'll just arrange my things and then we'll go." he said.

"Where do you wanna go?" It was a stupid question since he was new here but I wanted to know if there was something else on his mind before I can show him what Carmona Rosa has to offer.

"Do you know where I can find Rick? I gotta hand him the downpayment first."

I nodded. "Uh-huh."

"Okay then. Let's go." he changed his outfit into a simpler one. We said goodbye to my parents before heading out on our way to Rick's Auto Shop which is a ten minute walk from here. I took a glance at the man beside me and it looks like he's got no intention of starting a conversation and so I took the initiative.

"What will you do in California?"

"Why are you curious anyway?" he said.

"If I'm being honest, there's still something about you that isn't quite right. I feel like you're not telling the whole truth."

He stopped from his tracks. "May I ask why?"

"I don't know. You refused to be admitted to a hospital when you are obviously in need of medical care." He looked at me in the eye, observing if he could trust me.