11

Chapter 11

The blinding light and the blistering heat of the sun made us seek shelter in the canopy of the conifer tree. Its thick leaves dancing along the light summer breeze. I looked at Hector standing beside me looking happy and at ease. 

"You're car is now repaired." I said, a hint of sadness can be heard even though I tried my best to hide it. He's been with us for a couple of weeks and I know for sure he's gonna leave soon. Now that I'm used to his presence, I can't help but wonder what it would feel like being the youngest kid in the neighborhood. All of the people living here are mostly middle aged or retiring people. He was the closest to my age group. Yeah, he was 22, five years older than me but he was my only friend this summer break and I don't know what to do for the remaining days before school starts again. 

"I like it here. It's been fun." he said and smiled radiantly. 

"So when are you planning to leave?" I asked as I play with the pebbles on the ground with my foot.

"I don't know yet.I'm not yet ready to come back." his tone suddenly changed. Whatever his problem is he never bother to share. Since I respected his privacy, I never attempted to ask what was wrong. If he would like to share it, he can. If he don't, it's okay.

He smiled when he noticed that his sadness is showing. I knew it was an attempt to convince me that I should not be worried about something. 

"Can I ask you something?" 

"Yeah sure. What is it?" I replied.

"Do-" before he could even finish his question, I was woken up by my alarm clock. I grumpily switched off my buzzing clock. I tried my best to stood up immediately before I could even drift off back to sleep. Today is the day Mr. Black, the father of Magnus, will visit the office for the board meeting. 

I decided to brush off the dream I was having since I can't see the relevance of remembering the past which seems so blurry now. I'm not even sure if what I had dreamed happened in the past or not but I do remember talking to Hector before he left Carmona Rosa. My recollections of the past are vague now. I can't even remember what his face looked like. Every time I wake up, the faces I saw in my dream immediately melts away in my memories. Whatever reason for reminiscing the past, I decided not to think about it that much.  I have much important things to do.

---

I went into the conference room early so that I can get the phone I left last night. It seems like all of the boxes yesterday vanished without a trace. And my phone can't also be found. Am I in the right room? I went back to my office but I cannot find my desk. What the heck is happening?

I saw talkative Kate walking around the workplace doing her usual thing of gossiping with her workmates. I decided to ask her about my concern. 

"Hey Kate! Where's my desk?" I'm starting to get nervous because I might have been fired but I wasn't informed.

"Why are you still here?" she asked me.

"Oh god. Am I fired?" 

"I mean, why are you still here? The top floor is now opened for business. It's about time Mr. Black returned to his lair." she said. So that's why she's around here frolicking in the office.

"How do I get there? The elevator stops here?" 

"Do you know the lone elevator on the right side of the building with a sign that said keep off?"

"Yeah. Why?" I asked when I remember what she's talking about. I always thought that that elevator was under maintenance or it's a building hazard.