20.1

Chapter 20 (Part one)

This is a confession.

My name is Michael. I lived in Carmona Rosa ever since I was born until I turned seventeen. A lot of things happened when I was seventeen. It was our summer vacation and I had just finished junior high school. Usually kids my age would enjoy summer vacation by  spending more time with their friends or having a part-time job. I, on the other hand is stuck here helping out at home because I don't consider this as a job since I am not getting paid. You see, we own a small bed and breakfast place for tourists and honeymooners who would like to visit the red river. Naturally I was asked to help run the  business and I was bored for the whole summer break but  something happened one night.

I was just about to lock the front door when I heard a loud crash outside. I took the key to the cash box and secured them to my pocket. Not that it contains a money anyway but it was the first thing that my instinct told me. My parents are asleep upstairs so I took the bat for self-defense in case a burglar is trying to break into our house. I carefully peeked behind the curtain from the sidelight of the door and was shocked to see a car crash outside. I immediately went outside and ran across the byroad towards the large oak tree where the accident took place.

There was a boy inside, unconscious with a bleeding head. Is he dead? I reached inside to his neck to look for some pulse but I jumped back when he opened his eyes. 

"Are you alright? How are you feeling?" I asked. He just groaned placed his hand on the injured area.

"Please stay put while I call the ambulance." Before I could ran back inside the house he called me.

"Wait!" 

I turned around and came back to his aid in case he needed anything.

"What?"

"Don't call the ambulance. I don't want any trouble. I'm fine. I just bumped my head on the steering wheel, that's all." he started to get out of the car and I assisted him until he sat on the ground and leaned on the car. It appears he's still dizzy.

"Are you sure? You're not in trouble with the law right. Or are you?"

"No! It's even worse if you call the police." 

And now I get it. I can still smell the alcohol in his breath. He got into an accident because he's drunk. 

"If that's what you want then fine."

He composed himself for a minute before opening his eyes again.

"Is this the bed and breakfast place?" he pointed at our house.

"Yes. It's our house." I replied.

"Take me there. I'll pay for my stay." I pulled him up and wrapped his arm on my shoulder to support him. We entered the house with much difficulty because he keeps on losing his balance and it's hard to carry a dead weight especially when you compare his body to mine.

I think I'll be skipping the registration and payment for tonight and just put him on one of the rooms. We usually don't practice express check-ins but what can I say, tonight is different. Instead of giving him the keys to the room first, I led him upstairs directly to one of the vacant rooms. I'll be using the master keys instead rather than getting the duplicate on the key rack because that would mean I have to leave and help him up again. That's just too much work for me because I really want to stop carrying his as soon as possible.

I opened the first room near the stairs and immediately laid him on the bed. I lifted his feet on the bed and helped him to be comfortable mattress.

"Would you like some water?" I asked him.

"Yes, please." 

I went down to the kitchen and filled a pitcher with water. I also took a towel and a basin to wash his wounds. After I arrived to his room, I gave him a glass of water and went to the bathroom to fill the basin with water.

"Let me get that for you." I took the glass after he's done drinking and placed in on the table. He laid down again and closed his eyes in exhaustion. That's when I started to wipe the blood on his head. It took me three towel soaking and squeezing before his face was cleansed revealing a small cut on his forehead.  I filled a cotton with a few drops of betadine before using it to disinfect the small cut. He flinched from the sudden burning sensation caused by the antiseptic formula.

"You know, you should really go to the hospital tomorrow to get yourself checked. You might feel okay for now you might have incurred an internal damage that will cause harm to you in the future." I advised him while I put the adhesive bandage on his forehead.

"I'd rather not." he replied.

"Why? I'm sure money is not an issue. I noticed your car looks expensive, so is your clothes." I rebut.

"I'd rather not talk about it." he then turned to his side like a moody teenager.

"Okay then as long as you're not a criminal on a run or a psychopath I respect your decision."

"Thank you."

"If you don't have any more injuries then may I know your name so that I can register it on the guest logbook." I stood up and got the basin and the towel.

"Hector." he finally replied after a series of heavy breathing.

"Hector what? I need to know your last name."

"Montgomery. Hector Montgomery."

"Okay. I'll leave you alone for now. We'll settle the other details tomorrow. Good night and I hope you'll have a great stay with us. Would you like me to turn off the lights before I leave?" 

"Yes. Thank you very much." he said. 

I then closed the lights before closing the door to his room.

****

Short  updates for now. :)