20.3

Chapter 20 (Part three)

So since our car is a two-seater pick-up truck, Hector and I were cramped like sardines in a can. His big muscular body is my pushing my right side toward the door.

"Everything alright boys?" my father inquired.

"Yes sir."
"Yep." we both replied at the same time. For all I know, that was just us being polite. I opened the window to let my arm out so that I can at least adjust for a little space. I knew I should've sat outside on the carrier.

"So where are you from Hector?" my father asked my seatmate.

"Um. Long Island." He answered but it's obvious that he hesitated sharing it at first.

"Long Island. Wow. No wonder you could afford that car. What brings you to Carmona Rosa?"

"I was actually on my way to meet some friends on California but then the accident happened."

The car stopped on a pedestrian and my father took the chance to talk further to our guest.

"But the main highway was 2 kilometers away from our town. You must be going the wrong way."

"It was late and I saw your sign so I decided to have some shut eye first. That's when my car slipped towards the tree." Hector replied. 

Liar! He was drunk that's why he crashed his car.

"Yeah. You got to be careful since our roads gets slippery with mud after it rains. It rained like cats and dogs yesterday you know." 

"I guess I didn't see how much mud there is since it was dark yesterday."

I still don't get it why he does not want to tell the truth. He's being dodgy with his answers.

"You know you could still take a bus to the airport and catch a plane to your friends. Then you can come back here once your car is totally repaired." my father suggested.

"No it's alright. My trip was supposed to be an adventure. I'm sure this is just a little detour before I can continue on my journey.  Plus I just can't leave my car behind. I love that baby too much that I got to drive her until I reach my destination."

"If that's the case then you can have a little side trip on your own. Perhaps my son could take you for a sight-seeing." I stared at my dad for his unannounced volunteerism on my part. Say what now? "We've got beautiful sceneries here. I'm sure you would enjoy them as much as California." 

"I'll think about it. How much time would you think it would take until I can ride my car back?"

"We'll it depends on what Rick would say. I'll give you his number if you want."

The crossing was cleared and we went right towards the town's parking lot. "Look for an open spot will you son." my father asked and I surveyed the area for an available space.

"Your favorite spot is available." my father nodded and parked the car in front of the trolley bay. I immediately opened the door and stretched my body while Hector talked to my dad for Rick's phone number.

"I'll be quick at the supermarket after that I'll visit the hardware store. Mike,  keep our guest entertained" my father said before entering the store. 

"So where's the nearest ATM?" Hector asked me with his boyish little smile. 

"Follow me." If he ever attemted to run, I swear he will regret it for the rest of his life. We walked for a while until we reached the ATM on the other side of the building.

"I just have to make a call before I withdraw." he said.

I smiled, but in a sarcastic way which was not obvious. " Sure."