22

Tw: Self hatred/Self degrading.

(Also thank you guys so, so much for 5k reads! It means so much to me, it really does. I love all you so much <3)
—————————————————

As soon as the two walked through the glass doors, a shiver ran down Zak's spine.

"Wow it's cold," He pointed out, laughing a bit, when he got no response he glanced around, then spotted his friend at the front register.

Zak shrugged and walked over to him, listening to their conversation.

"-es, two pairs of skates please!" Darryl said, a grin still plastered to his face. Zak watched as the worker placed two pairs of ice skates on the desk.

"Thanks," Zak took his own skates, then waited for his friend to finish a final conversation with the worker.

Darryl grabbed the skates in front of him, then turned to Zak, walking over to him and taking his hand.

Zak let out a small noise of surprise, but went with the older, who was practically dragging him over to a nearby bench.

Darryl let go of him and sat down, untying the laces on one of his shoes, sliding it off.

Zak watched his friend, taking note of every move he made.

That doesn't sound bad at all. Totally not.

After around a minute or so Zak finally put on his ice skates, which was harder then he thought it would be.

He sat back, letting out a huff of breath, his gaze flicked to Darryl, looking at him as he stood up.

"Come on, get up!" Darryl exclaimed happily, a large smile plastered onto his face.

Zak nodded silently, feeling his face heat up slightly. He stood, his legs immediately wobbled under him.

"Woah-" He muttered, regaining his balance, letting out a nervous giggle, looking at his friend again.

Darryl simply laughed in return, then turned, heading over to the large opening that led into the skating rink.

Zak swallowed dryly, then followed, carefully stepping down in order to keep his balance.

Darryl, on the other hand, was already on the ice, standing by the entrance while watching the other.

"I hate this already." Zak muttered to himself as he stepped onto the ice, holding onto the wall for support.

"Oh come on Zak! It's not that bad!" Zak looked over at his friend, giving him and unamused expression.

Zak looked down at his feet, then slowly moved, stumbling again, he gripped onto the wall before he fell back.

Darryl moved closer to Zak, then stuck his hand out for him to take, smiling warmly.

Zak blinked cluelessly, looking at Darryl, then at his hand, moving his own towards it.

Darryl laughed silently, then held Zak's hand, skating forward a bit, the two staying silent.

Zak gripped onto his friend's hand tighter, his free hand stayed on the wall as he moved.

"See? It's not so bad," Darryl spoke, a smile staying on his face as he looked back at Zak.

"That's what you think." Zak scoffed, mentally rolling his eyes before snickering a bit.

"Whatever you say. Hey, why don't you try to skate on your own?" He suggested, glancing over at the struggling male.

"Fine.. But if I fall i'm going to blame you," Zak responded, letting go of Darryl's hand, slowly moving his other hand off the wall.

He wobbled a bit, then centered himself, a small smile on his face as he glided across the ice.

He grew more confident and moved fully away from the wall, a grin on his face.

Darryl laughed softly, skating backwards while watching Zak.

Zak looked at him, then smiled, moving his attention back to his feet, he glanced at the turn ahead of him.

"Wait, how do I turn?" He panicked slightly, staring at the wall as it grew closer and closer.

...

Zak hit the wall face first, stumbling back and falling down on his butt, letting out a small groan of pain.

He moved his arm, rubbing his nose with it, leaning back to lay down on the ice.

"Oh my goodness! Are you alright!?" Darryl let out, skating towards Zak before stopping quickly.

Zak nodded, unable to fully form words in his mouth, his head hurt like hell.

He heard a sigh of relief, leaning his head back on the ice, groaning from the pounding headache he received.

Darryl kneeled down besides Zak, looking worriedly at him, his expression gentle.

Zak opened his eyes, tilting his head and looking at him with squinted eyes, attempting to blink away the blurriness.

He felt a hand go through his hair, he closed his eyes again, moving his head back to its last position.

"I think we should go." Darryl said softly, his fingers laced in Zak's hair, playing with a few strands.

Zak opened his eyes, looking at him. "But you were so excited to come here, dammit. I'm sorry.." He let out, looking away from Darryl, guilt flooding through him.

Of course, Zak couldn't help but feel bad.

First he got angry for no reason while driving.

Then because he didn't know how to ics skate his friend probably had less fun.

And now he most likely ruined the only chance he had at making his friend actually happy.

Zak sighed, memories of how excited Darryl was when he agreed to come flashed through his mind.

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault." Darryl assured, his expression growing even more delicate - if that was possible.

Zak felt a pang in his heart, he felt pathetic. If he hadn't been so full of himself this wouldn't have happened.

Zak clenched his jaw tightly, biting the inside of his mouth gently, feeling like he wanted to cry.

Pathetic. Pathetic. Pathetic. Zak thought over and over to himself, his self hatred growing.

Zak was frustrated with himself, he couldn't even handle a single bop to the head.

It was all so pathetic.

Pathetic how he was on the verge of tears.

Pathetic for upsetting his friend.

Pathetic for thinking that for even a second his friend liked him back.

Pathetic for letting someone take over his mind unintentionally.

Zak got lost in this thoughts, bringing himself down more then he already was.

That is, until he  felt a gentle wave of warmth on his forehead, shooting him out of his thoughts.

-
1085 words.
Look at me, actually posting for once :,)
ngl- I hate how this turned out lmao

Have a good day, night, or afternoon! Ily! (Don't forget to take care of yourself!)