Chapter Six

Rolling up towards the designated parking space, the two of them weren't wearing much fancy clothes.

Miguel was in his regular shirt and pants combo, with Goodwin wearing a casual white woman's blazer alongside jeans and of course a black and white striped shirt.

All in all, Miguel certainly seemed to be more dressed for work than her but that was probably since this was all he had to wear everyday.

He hadn't tried it yet, the mind reading, although he could hear something faintly every now and then, testing some of his 'mind control' or whatever it was power on some pedestrians near by made him recognise the power of it all.

He could somewhat make people shake their hands without them noticing, or wobble slightly. Nothing too dangerous, but it all happened without them gaining any hint at the suspicious actions, although others did notice the peculiarities through fleeting glances that is.

    "Say, how many off days do you.. or rather, did you get?" Her inquisitive resolve stayed through like a diamond in the rough, a piercing green gaze that used to make him go green with envy, now accepting her questions instead with a sigh, distracted slightly after all from the startling and abrupt change in atmosphere which caused someone nearby to drop their car keys.

    "A sunday maybe every now and then, maybe once a month? Had one actually just recently, two in fact this month I think."

She just shook her head at him while entering alongside the work clothes dressed man who looked a bit more on the thin side recently.

Getting a seat by the bright neon couches, they both lounged around while waiting for their respective dishes, Negro Spaghetti for Miguel and of course something Miguel could certainly not pronounce for the freckled girl.

     "I'm sorry to say this but Miguel, you got scammed.. if only I'd noticed sooner.. if only I-"

Her abrupt change in cheerful to depressing behaviour made Miguel frown for a second but soon enough he smiled. "Goodwin, it's not your fault, it's mine in it's entirety, I got into a dangerous field and.. well.. got into a murky contract.."

   "It couldn't have been your fault, I mean, why the hell did you work there since you were fifteen then?.. this, this is definitely the world's fault!"

Almost as if she was screaming, thankfully the blonde was knowing of their situation and environment and calmed down rapidly enough.

   "It's not the world's fault, Goodwin, it's either my own wrongdoings or just because I.. well, didn't choose the same opportunities like you all did."

   "But you couldn't- you weren't given any to chose from!" She resisted his words with a frustrated look, furrowing her brows as Miguel tried to keep her calm.

   "I know I couldn't, but there's always a way, I just.. didn't look hard enough to find mine.."

Giving a slight cough, strangely enough the stabbing sensation nor burn appeared.

After keeping a cool head, the blonde just gave up in her attempts to coerce the black headed dense man in filing a law suit, after all, where would he get the money for the court and lawyer? Having spent it all on shipment that would likely be arriving in a couple days tops.

The rest of their time was fitted in with filler talks about Goodwin's life, sometimes about Miguel's personal experiences and of course about high school.

Red cheeked slightly now, the blonde looked at him with a fixed gaze, and while her slightly dilated green eyes certainly creeped him out a little, he felt like he was now experiencing what other people experience upon noticing his seemingly pitch black eyes.