Chapter Twenty Five

Tick, tock, tick, tock, the clock's gong struck with the subtlety of a landslide.

The party had just begun, and the woman on the other side of the table was still waiting to hear his reply, her silver hair braided as if to indicate poshness alongside her heavily garnished skin, makeup wasn't just the first thing he thought of when he saw her.

"Do you take the deal, or do you not? Dear sir, I have to remind you to make these matters quick, these walls have ears you know?" She said as her two bodyguards began extending their hands to lift her up from her cushy seat.

Miguel grumbled, "I don't get much out of this deal," He said, "I just don't think it's fair for me to hand it all over." The bodyguards didn't intimidate him one bit.

An hour ago, Miguel and Anna Rouge were outside the Chateau, nobles paraded the place as though the entire city didn't have starving people littered around the corners, the clouds beginning to diminish once more as the skies turned red.

Godrays peered through the skies and beset upon them the glimmering glory of the entire building, Anna grumbled to see her former captivity centre.

This event would mark the last time any noble would meet each other as allies, friends and family.

Yuf was alongside them, tugging the reins of the horse he motioned them to leave him be, Svard and Miranda were with him as the stage-coach's tenders.

The entire place was lighted up with romantic candles, triumphant chandeliers and a chilly atmosphere.

People huddled around, the church's executive officer seeing the last minute preparations through.

The tables were long and sharp, mahogany with just as expensive food on it all, a pure white sheet ontop of it to showcase power no doubt.

Anna chatted away to a couple of her associates, Miguel grumbled just a few feet away; she wouldn't dare let him wander about, both knew what shenanigans he might get upto should he even try.

And thus half an hour was spent milling about, news about tensions in the gaurd patrols once in a while broke out before being swept under the rug.

Miguel frowned, he knew they all knew, things looked vertically different for the noble class now, with the Emperor's sudden sickness and the next Duke in line missing, riots and revolts still going on around the city.

Miguel sighed, his benefactor finally letting him sample the food one by one, though he took as much as he could eat, he saw many of his peers take too much they couldn't swallow down, going down the rubbish in the end.

Miguel's eyes darted around the chambers, the red and yellow colored walls and the golden lighting display alongside the decor made for a stunning view.

The smell of food had long since subsided as he took a seat, in nearly half an hour the dancing would begin.

He sighed, the chilling air soothing his lungs somehow, it was certainly addicting.

Feeling the luxuriously crimson dyed sofa's texture he accidentally sat his hand atop Anna's, sizing it up he looked at her mischievous smile, her nose was red though he didn't know whether it was from the cold or from his touch.

He chose the latter and pulled away almost immediately, causing her to frown in response.

"Say Rouge-" He began, he was here for a motive after all.

  "You're lucky this place is under strict surveillance, darling." She answered, glaring sharp daggers his way.

He gulped before defusing the situation, "Anna, about that acquaintance of yours?"