Chapter Eleven

He was also somewhat woefully aware about what he had done. While searching to boost his own life expectancy, he himself forgot that no matter what, one day, all else shall perish, and why would he be any different?

For even a King that ruled over Emperors that could be considered like ants in comparison to his mighty power had to beg for his life at it's end, on his knees like a whimpering coward.

It gave insight to Miguel for sure, as he wouldn't have ever dreamt of such possibilities, but he had drafted a small bunch from the hints he had received in the time he spent with the scroll, even if the rules didn't necessarily develope the same way for his world and the scroll's.

With a shake of his head, he sat down on his laptop once more, the whole day wasn't really reserved for this activity, seeing that Goodwin would be coming soon to pick him up, but in that amount of time, he wanted to get some more insight and money.

The money part was all true, raking in nearly two hundred dollars after a hard hour's work, much better than the automatic sixteen cents he was given by his program every hour or so.

He wasn't rich for sure, as most of the money he had collected till now would go back to the goverment in the form of taxes, his house was big enough to house a couple families after all, and along with that came the heavy burden of the tax situation.

He wasn't subjected to direct taxes when he wasn't an adult, but was indirectly affected by it in the form of income tax and sales tax.

He felt a bit irked by it but didn't think too much of it, after all, the goverment did give him decent roads and what not, not that he ever used them at all, having been so poor in such a rich house was a horror, even now, as he was sure that half the money he had made would be going into housing and property tax.

The rest of the afternoon was pretty chilling, going out to some sight seeing places with Goodwin while she rambled on and on about her own problems, Miguel giving her a helping hand every now and then about any advice he could give, as childish as it would seem, he really did respect her alot as his better.

"Want to go grab a bite? Heard there's a great restaurant nearby Jerrys street, and I'm pretty sure you're starving too, right?"

He scratched his head for a bit before nodding along, the car driving elegantly to Jerrys street, just off the old church in town, the name of the place being Hot 'N Fresh, black bricks and fancy designs everywhere plated in gold, or atleast coloured steel.

The chairs were deep brown, and so was the rectangular small table, the edges hit him first, which brought out a slight chuckle from Goodwin, his face slightly wincing from the pain.

But, soon the tables had turned and Goodwin had been struck by the edges, clutching the sides of her stomach.

Thankfully, while smiling at her in mischievous delight, none of them were truly hurt and Miguel was having a rather splendid time with her, the odd cough or two coming along but he had decided to eliminate the root of the problem that week itself.

The outing was lovely, once more talking about meaningless things for hours on end, but it felt like time flew by too quickly, one thing that didn't however was his striking question to her.

"Goodwin, say there's a way to edit genes-"

"Annabel." She quickly interjected.

He was a bit confused, as he tilted his head at her childish glare. "What?" He asked, regaining his bearings, thinking he had done the strongest sin possible.

"Annabel, I know you adore using surnames to address everyone, but you have to use my first name from now on, alright? Even though it's adorable.. It's.. way too weird and cold sometimes.." twirling around her blonde locks while preening herself slightly, Miguel was a bit caught off guard by her, stammering a response after a nervous cough.