Chapter 31

Result

Tahimik akong nakaupo sa upuan ko habang busy ang board sa kanilang meeting. Tapos na ang pinaka-agenda ng meeting nila kani-kanina lang. At iba na ngayon ang topic nila. Hindi ko sigurado kung naiintindihan ko lahat ng pinag-uusapan nila, pero alam kong tungkol 'yon sa case ng dad ni Sync.

My father wasn't willing regardless of how this case can add tons of research for our hospital. And of course, the rest of the board wants the surgery to happen as soon as possible. Mukhang pinag-uusapan din nila kung sino-sinong surgical residents ang magp-perform sa operation that would be led by my father, the attending surgeon. 

"You can choose whoever resident you want to accompany me, but leave my daughter out of it. And I personally suggest Resident Joaquin Alfaro." Agad akong nainis sa usapan dahil sa sinabi ni Daddy. 

He wants me out of it but he wants Joaquin to accompany him? This is ridiculous!

Tumayo ako at sumunod ang tingin nilang lahat sa akin. "Dad, we already talked about this. I'm in-"

My father cut me off. "And I didn't give you my permission, Resident Flores. You may be one of the best residents of this hospital, but that doesn't guarantee that you'll do good in this surgery."

My jaw dropped because of what my father said. It only means that he doesn't trust me enough that I'll perform a good surgery just because I have a not-so-good history with the patient's son. My father has prejudices and I fucking hate it. Para bang wala pa rin akong napapatunayan sa kaniya hanggang ngayon.

"Doc. Flores, your daughter is the best resident of this hospital. She never made mistakes in surgeries. Isa pa, siya ang may pinakamaraming na-assist na surgical teams, Doc. Mas marami siyang na-experienced na rare cases of surgical operations compared to other residents, and that makes her capable of this one." Nagulat ako sa biglang pagsasalita ni Doktora Alvarez. Hindi ko napigilan ang pagngiti dahil sa natanggap na compliments.

"Doc. Alvarez is right, Doc. Flores. Ace Hailey already achieved so much in her 3 years of residency. And you know how much your daughter is capable of this one. We know that you're scared that something wrong might happen, but this is Ace Hailey we are talking about, Doc," dagdag naman ni Doktora Sanchez.

Ramdam ko ang mariing titig sa akin ni Resident Joaquin Alfaro. Sinulyapan ko siya at pinagtaasan ng kilay. And then I saw him smirked evilly as he rolled his eyes on me. I scoffed in disbelief.

Asshole, tsk.

"You need Ace in the team, Albert." I sighed in relief knowing that there are still those who believe in my capabilities as a resident doctor.

Every one of them may not be on my side, but I still can't help but feel proud that some believed in me. I know that I achieved so much in my residency here and the fact that the surgeons notice my achievements makes me even prouder. I just hope that my father will consider it.

"Resident Alfaro," tawag ni Dad kay Joaquin.

We all looked at him as he stood from his seat. His expression is still as cold as the first time I saw him. He was that student scholar my father is so proud of. He was a UP graduate and he also topped the licensure exam, but only got second place. Muntik niya pa akong mataasan with 0.02 point difference. Just remembering it makes my blood boil in annoyance. This person is arrogant and rude to everyone except for his patients.

Pero kung ganoong ugali lang din naman ang usapan, mas malala pa ako sa kaniya at walang sinasanto ang ugali ko. Staff man 'yan ng hospital or patients. I may be the best resident of this hospital, but I'm also the one being hated the most by everyone. He's just the second. Always the second.