Reunion

It was the morning after the hellish day during which I'd fought the Gouz-Maise Gang and the Revenant Ox-Horse.

Before dawn broke, I took a shower at the inn and then I made my way to Gideon's knight offices. I went there because Liliana had told me to report the destruction of the Gouz-Maise Gang to them.

I entered the offices in Gideon's first district and saw many Knight- like people busily running around. They seemed about five times busier than high schoolers getting ready for a school festival.

It appeared like there was some event coming up soon, and they were hard at work preparing for it. Trying not to get in their way, I went through the less crowded hallways and made my way to the office Liliana had told me about.

However, before I could get there......I ran into a white armor-clad knight whose face I recognized — the one that Liliana had referred to as Sir Lindos. From the way he stopped and stared at me, it was fair to say that he recognized me, as well.

"Hello," I greeted him.

However, all I got in response was silence.

Well, I already know that he doesn't think too highly of us Masters, so whatever, I thought.

Not minding his attitude too much, I began heading to the office again.

"I hear that you defeated the Gouz-Maise Gang," said Sir Lindos before I could walk away.

"Yes," I replied.

"I can't say that I did it alone, though."

In response, he silently closed his eyes.

"Thank you."

Then he left after saying just that. Slightly confused at what had just happened, I went towards the office again.

Gideon's knight offices had a free-to-enter area dedicated to the citizenry's appeals and the like. Naturally, there were lots of secretive areas where civilians weren't allowed to enter, but the office I was looking for was in the open area.

There were guides to help people get around, so I had no trouble getting to my destination, where I quickly began going through the relevant procedures.

During the process, I was told something about merit or whatever, but I didn't remember most of it. Almost the whole of my visit consisted of me looking at and signing some documents.

Most of them looked fine, and I didn't hesitate to put my signature on them but I refused to sign the one that gave me The Right to Acquire the Treasure Plundered by the Gouz-Maise Gang.

With me getting the Grudge-soaked Greaves, I had no problem nonetheless. I also took the money from the lich and really didn't need anymore from the corpses from the gang.

I asked the office to donate that money to charities that helped children. With Hugo also having a right to those dirty riches, my only regret was the fact that I'd decided this without consulting him.

Sure, his letter had said that he needed no reward, but it still didn't feel right to not get his input on this. If he didn't agree with this decision, I was fully intent on giving him the reward I'd get from the guild. However, I felt that this would never happen.

Hugo and I hadn't known each other for long, but I was certain that he'd have done the same thing as me if our positions had been reversed.

We were alike very much though. Once I was done signing the papers, I was told that I was probably going to be contacted sooner or later, so I gave them the address of the inn I was staying at here in Gideon.