viii

Y/NS POV
I stood at the intersection, fiddling with my necklace as I waited for the cars to pass by. My mind ran back to earlier events.

Bakugou saved me from falling and waited for me to wake up. It sounds selfish, but no matter how much I thought about it, it seems that he saved me because he wanted to; logically speaking though, he's an aspiring hero and he had to save me. In addition to that, he was possibly the person who was physically closest to me.

"Oi oi oi. Hurry up and get out of my way dumbass" A deep voice spoke out from behind me.

I turned my head to see the blond-haired male and then looked back at the sign across the street that was signaling for pedestrians to cross. Bakugou brushed past me and began crossing.

"You could have said that nicer you know" I said as I jogged up to him.

"Whatever"

It felt as though something was off. Bakugou didn't say anything more and I couldn't help but wonder what happened. We saw each other not too long ago and he was just fine.

"Did something happen?"

"Do you ever shut the hell up?"

I was taken aback by his question. Of course, this wasn't new for Bakugou to be so.. grouchy, but his tone sounded worse than usual.

"No. Now, what's going on? Where's the friendly banter today? You were off this morning-"

"Shut the hell up! I know you're thinking that becoming more like me will get me to like you, but the truth is that it won't. I'll never like a pathetic extra like you, okay? I was just pitying you because you're so unfortunate" Bakugou lashed out and turned to me. We both stopped dead in our tracks. "Do everyone a favor and stop acting like someone you're not"

I stared at him in disbelief with tears filling my eyes. None of this made sense. Just earlier we were fine, everything was fine. What changed? I wanted to ask, but I couldn't bring myself to. There was a boiling pot of water at the bottom of my stomach and it wouldn't shut off. If I touched it I'll get burnt. If I leave it'll spill over. So I did what I do best... I covered it with a lid.

"Fuck you, asshole" I stormed off upset and confused.

Maybe it was a stretch to think that Bakugou had changed. That we could, I don't know... start fresh? Things are supposed to be different at a new school with a new environment. So why is it that he's spiraling?

Without realizing it, my hand had grasped tightly onto the white gem that hung around my neck. I had only noticed it when I felt a stinging discomfort in my palm and checked to see blooding rolling out. Luckily I was already at my front door. When I flung it open I was met with Mary who rushed to patch up my hand. She asked about the injury and I gave enough information that she needed to know. The last thing I wanted was for her to worry about me.

Dinner went by slowly and it didn't help that it was completely silent aside from the clacking of the utensils. Mary insisted on washing the dishes and shooed me up the stairs to get ready for bed.

The night passed and soon enough I was met with the morning sun again. My uniform hung on my door, pressed and crisp. I took my time to get ready, deciding to leave my hair down.

Mary had asked if I wanted to eat breakfast, but I declined and made my way to school. Today we were to get dressed into our hero costumes right away and line up outside to go to the USJ center for rescue training.

It was 8:30 by the time everyone had gathered in front of the bus.

"Everyone, please line up according to your assigned seats!" Iida instructed with his robotic arm movements.

We complied and stepped onto the bus only to sit wherever we wanted. In the middle of the bus were me, Mina, Iida, Sato, Kirishima, Kaminari, Tsuyu, and Izuku. Everyone there was teasing Iida for his great seating arrangement. They laughed and talked as I just listened. It wasn't until Mina asked me about my hand when I finally spoke.

"Y/n-chan, what happened to your hand?" She questioned, her tone genuine.

"Oh... it's nothing, just a little scratch" I replied. I wasn't lying, it was just a few scratches. The only reason why it looked so serious was due to the fact that my hand was wrapped in bandages.

"Are you sure Y/n-kun?" Izuku asked and stared at me with worried eyes.

"Yeah, I'm sure. Don't worry about it"

"Midoriya-kun, you and Y/n-chan are siblings right?" Sato looked between the two of us.

"Oh no! Y/n-kun is my cousin"

"Yeah. He just treats me like his little sister sometimes" I added.

"My bad. I was just confused because You two seem so close, but Y/n-chan doesn't look like you, Midoriya-kun"

"Yeah! She looks like the secret child of the late Manetto-san and Kinzo-san" Kaminari pointed out, making everyone in the middle turn to look at me.

I froze for a moment upon hearing the hero names of my parents.

"Eh? She looks more like Kinzo-san" Mina said and tilted her head.

"Come to think of it, your quirk is like a combination of theirs too! It would be totally manly if you were their child" Kirishima stated and grinned at me.

"Th-They're not her parents guys, her mom is my mom's sister and I would know if they were her parents" Izuku spoke out, lying straight through his teeth.

"Logically speaking, it was never confirmed if the L/n's had a child together. So there is no point in assuming L/n-san's origins" Iida commented and then his eyes widened. He pushed up his glasses. "They have the same last names!"

"Do you extras ever shut the hell up?" Bakugou chimed in from his seat. "L/n is a common name four eyes, the dumbass shares it with half the Japanese population"

"No one asked for your input" I told the boy and rolled my eyes before turning back to everyone else. "I get those comments a lot, but I'm not their child. It would be cool to be though"

Everyone was quiet for a moment. And then Kaminari decided to speak out.

"Regardless of who you look like, you're beautiful either way" Kaminari commented and winked at me.

My eyes widened and my cheeks quickly turned a bright shade of red as I coughed. I turned away, listening to Mina scolding the boy. Izuku had a 'what the fuck' look on his face and Kirishima was cheering him on. The moment of silence had passed as quickly as it came and the bus was rowdy once more. A little smile was plastered across my face as I watched this group in the middle interact.

"At least I made her smile!"

"If you're going to flirt you should have better timing!" Mina scolded.

"Dude you're so manly!"

"Hey Y/n! How about we go on a date after this?"

"H-Hold on Kaminari-kun!" Izuku spoke, flustered.

I giggled and shook my head. "Sorry Kaminari, but I have other priorities. Dating isn't on my agenda right now"

And it was the truth.

I turned my head in the direction where Bakugou sat, catching him staring at me with those sharp eyes of his. I gave him a sarcastic smile as I flipped him off. We eventually arrived at our destination and got off the bus.

Our class met with pro hero Thirteen. We listened to her speech about the importance of search and rescue before stepping foot into the building. My eyes lit up at the sight of different disaster areas. There was so much variety from fires to earthquakes and even some sort of water disaster. I was busy looking around the area when an increasingly growing purple smoke caught my eye. It had appeared across the building in the open and out stepped and army of petty villains.