xix

Once more I found myself sitting in the waiting rooms. Bakugou had won his round... which didn't surprise me. It was inevitable, but Uraraka's performance stole the show during that fight. They were the last pair of the first round, which meant all the previous winners were advancing to the second round. No breaks. No breathers.

I sat in my room as my cousin battled Todoroki. Though I could hear the blasts and strong gusts of wind from the arena, all I could focus on was my opponent. Iida.

His whole quirk was speed, those engines in his legs allowed him to run like it was nobody's business and he had his special move that he showed off during the cavalry battle. If I want to win I have to be faster than him or I have to pull something out of my ass.

That's when I heard it over the intercoms.

"IIDA TENYA OF THE INFAMOUS CLASS 1A IS DISQUALIFIED! D I S Q U A-"
"Due to personal matters, Iida has dropped out of the individual battles"

I chuckled to myself, hearing the opposites on the intercoms. Then I realized I was fucked.

They were pushing me up against Todoroki. My hands began to sweat and my throat ran dry. I don't think I could do this. Todoroki was strong in every aspect. Combat. Technique. Strategizing. There was no way I could... no, that's no way to think.

I'm letting him get to me.

"You're letting that half and half bastard get to you" A deep voice spoke. I turned my head, practically breaking it, to see who it was.

"What the hell are you staring at princess?"

"Obviously not you" I replied in annoyance. "What are you doing here?"

"Deku and icy-hot made a mess out there and I have to stay in room 1 before I go kill bird boy" He replied as he walked towards me.

"Right, I forgot that you guys are going against each other" I nodded and went silent when he sat down beside me.

"Hey dumbass"

"What"

"You're not going to lose to that bastard, he's a weak asshole because he's been hiding his fire" Bakugou said. I think he was trying to make me feel better.

"Gee th-"

"Shut up, I wasn't done" He hissed and turned to me. He grabbed my hand, the one that I didn't know was gripping so tightly around the pendant on my necklace. "But you were trained to be a fucking winner, going all in and whatever the hell else you do. Stop being scared of that two-toned bastard and end his career before it fucking starts"

"Your motivational speech needs a lot of work.." I told him before laughing.

His lips curled into a small snarl. It was cute. The way his lips formed a permanent frown with his bottom lip further out or when his eyebrows creased together in the middle-

No no no, I'm not going to sit here and think like this. I stood up and pulled my hand out from his.

"I have to check on Izu. It sounded rough out there" I stumbled on my words as I got up.

"Don't bother. Deku is getting patched up and you'll be going against the candy cane soon. Bird brain won't last"

"That's rude to say, bourbon"

"It's the truth and you can't even deny it, dumbass"

I sat back down and we talked before he had to go. He was right. Tokoyami's Dark Shadow was impressive, but the light was his enemy. No more than a minute had passed when Midnight had declared the blond boy the winner.