xxii

I stumbled into the car before Ueda had slammed the door shut. He must be really mad...

"I am very disappointed in you, Y/n" Ueda began after he had sat down in the driver's seat. The car started with the turn of his key and the paparazzi—who did not fear for their lives—surrounded the vehicle.

"I'm sorry" I mumbled.

Ueda pressed a button that tinted the windows.

"You do not know how to handle the media and yet when you did, you acted completely childish!"

"I'm sorry, Ueda-san"

"No. You do not understand what is at stake here. You may as well have ended your whole hero career before it had even begun! I would have-"

"What did you want me to do?! They were insulting my credibility! How is someone going to tell me that I am not my parents' daughter?!" I yelled out of frustration.

"L/N ITSANE! YOU WERE ACTING RASHLY UPON YOUR EMOTIONS!"

My eyes widened. It was only then that I realized how worked up we were both getting. Ueda's hands had gripped the wheel so tight that his knuckles turned white and his face had turned red with a vein popping out on his forehead. His hair was disheveled and his arms were locked.

"I apologize L/n-san. I... I don't know what came over me"

I relaxed in my seat and took in a deep breath before letting it out. The man beside me did the same.

"It's alright Ueda-san. You're not the only one at fault" I sighed. "Why'd you call my mom's name?"

"You may look like your father, but you act just like your mother. She always did what she felt in the moment and often used her emotions to guide her quirk, but she was very strong and unpredictable because of that" Ueda explained.

"You did say that her quirk usage was often driven by emotion"

He nodded. "Yes. I'm assuming that as you grow, you will act more like your mother. It's not a terrible aspect, but it can be difficult to control your quirk"

"Ueda-san... would now be a good time to tell you about the sports festival?"

"I know what happened, L/n-san. I'm just glad that you're safe. We can talk more about your quirk later, but right now we must focus back on the matter at hand. The public" He sighed and pushed up his glasses as we stopped at a red light.

•~~~ఌ~~~•

"We will have a press conference this weekend. I will set it up. All you need to do for now is focus on school, I can not imagine how different it will be now that your identity was broadcasted" Ueda said.

"That's great and everything, Ueda-san, but what about my quirk?" I asked as I poked at my food.

"That, we will have to train with. From what I saw, it seems as though your magnetic fields can now materialize in front of the human eye..." The man pondered to himself.

"And it feels like it can only repel things. Like Violet from the Incredibles!" I gasped. Now I was really excited.

"This is a blessing in disguise, L/n-san. Your strength is in your offense, but your defense needs a bit of work. You are very agile and quick. You're constantly thinking on your toes-"

"I know, I know" I gushed, feeling good about myself.  "You don't have to give me endless comp-"

"But you're reckless and you leave openings when you get tired. You get sloppy which leaves your defense out of the fight. This new addition to your quirk can allow us to work on that" Ueda explains bluntly.

"First of all, ouch. You didn't need to be so brutal... and secondly, what if I end up doing something really bad with it? What if... what if I hurt someone?" I inquired.

I looked at my hands, recalling what they can do with a simple movement. Then, I thought about the villain who had killed my parents. In the world we live in, anyone is capable of changing another person's life with even a flick of the wrist. That terrified me.

If I was stronger, I could have...

"I could have killed Miss Midnight..." I looked at Ueda, realization struck me harder than it ever had before. "Midnight could have died..."

"L/n-san" He called and gently placed his hands on my trembling ones. "Midnight did not die. We are not here to worry about the what-ifs. We are here to construct a plan for the future, the future where you are still the good person you are today. You may be rash, but you are not murderous"

"You don't know that, Ueda-san..." My brows knitted together in worry. My mind replaced Midnight with Bakugou's briefly unconscious body.

I know I should be looking on the brighter side... but I couldn't. How could I?

"L/n-san. Listen to me, you are not a killer"

"Then why did my parents die?"

"They were heroes. They died knowing the risks with this life"

"Yeah. That's the bullshit told to every child of a hero" I muttered.

"It's the truth" Ueda reassured.

It wasn't. I knew the truth and that wasn't it. He said his goodbyes to Mary and me before leaving for the agency. I continued poking at my food before tossing the rest of it and placing the plate in the sink. I ran upstairs to get changed.

Bakugou. Midnight. My parents. The damn villain who came after my parents. It was all sending my brain into overdrive. I need to clear my mind.

I need to work out.

•~~~ఌ~~~•

i really don't mean to do so many a/n's, but i feel really bad for just leaving you guys like that... but i'm back! and im on break.. meaning that i'll have more time to write <3

however, i do have work and plans for thw summer so i will not be able to update too frequently, but i think ill be able to update a few times at least

i've also been thinking about starting up another book, but i want to know which ones YOU GUYS would like to see out because i have so many ideas and i cant choose one. so be on the lookout for a chapter or post or tiktok (@ababyw33b) or something dedicated to that :))