Chapter 23: Hiccup

I woke up to a yell that could be none other then Astrid. I sat bolt upright, stopped by the chains. Astrid was being pinned to the ground by two Outcasts. Alvin was standing by, watching. "What's she doing here?"

"We found her out here with the boy," one of the Outcasts said, trying to keep the struggling Astrid down.

"You're little girlfriend, eh Hiccup?" Alvin said turning to me.

I struggled against the chains.

"I always thought she was blond," Alvin said. He leaned down and grabbed Astrid by the hair and pulled her up. She let out a cry of pain. Alvin let her hair rush through his hands. His hand turned black from what Astrid had put in her hair.

"Leave her alone, Alvin," I said.

"And what are you going to do about it?" Alvin asked.

I bit my lip. I couldn't let Astrid get hurt. Not if I could help it. "Let her go, Alvin. Let her go, and I'll do whatever you want."

"Ha!" Alive said, grabbing the front if my shirt. "If I let her go, then what will I use to persuade you?"

I kicked out, trying to make him let go of me, but he simply stepped on my leg to stop me. I gritted my teeth to not let a cry escape.

"Now," Alvin said. "How about we give your girlfrind a littpe taste of what we've been doing together."

~

Tears streamed down my face. I let out a cry with every crack of the whip. I could here Astrid screaming my name, but it soumded far away.

Someone grabbed my hair and yanked me up. I clenched my teeth and shut my eyes to try not to let out a scream.

"How about now, Hiccup?" Alvin asked.

I couldn't find the strenth to speak, so I simply tried to shake my head.

"No matter," Alvin said. "I think I have a way."

I didn't like the sound of that. He dropped me and gave me one crack with the whip. Then I heard him walking away. What was he going to do to Astrid? I forced my eyes open and turned my head in her direction.

Astrid walked right in front of Astrid. She stood tall with a face emptied of emotion. Alvin raised his whip.

"No!" I somehow found the strenghth to shout.

Alvin stopped and turned to me. "I'll only stop if you help me."

"Hiccup, don't," Astrid said. "I'll be fine."

I bit my lip as Alvin took the whip and his Astrid in the back on the knees. She fell forwards with a yelp. She gritted her teeth and tried to keep her brave face on.

I had to stop him. I tugged hard on my chains. There was another crack. Astrid let out a cry. "All you have to do is promise me that you'll get it done, with no funny buisness."

I kept my eyes glued on Astrid. She shook her head. "I'll be fine."

"Astrid I have-"

"No!" She said. "Its your duty to keep Berk safe!" She cried out as the whip cracked once again. "If you agree, Alvin will burn Berk to the ground after he's finished you off and you won't be able to save anyone!"

So it was either save the best person in the whole world, and everyone else on Berk dies, including me or leave Astrid at Alvin's cruel mercy and hopefully get out of here alive. I decided either way I'd probably die. Heck, either way Astrid was probably going to die and it would be all my fault.

I took a deep breath and looked deep into Astrid's blue eyes. "I'm sorry."

I had to look away as Alvin continued to whip her. I had no power to stop this. I just felt so...weak. With every crack of the whip came a cry from Astrid and then a tearing at my heart that filled my eyes with tears.

After what felt like too long, I felt the whip crack on my back one last time. I barely winced. I felt someone's hot breath on the back of my neck. "I will break you, boy."