Chapter 3: Hiccup

I jumped on Toothless, switching my leg into flying mode. "Let's go, Toothless!" I said. He shot off like an arrow.

Snotlout and the twins where already there with Fishlegs close behind. "What's going on?" I asked. "Who's attacking?"

"I don't know," Fishlegs said. "There don't have a crest on there sails."

As Fishlegs was saying this, the enemy launched a canon ball over our heads and it hit the village. "Well, whoever they are," I said. "We have to stop them. Let's go."

"Right behind you, son," my mom said, showing up with Astrid.

We shot off to meet our attackers. Some of the water dragons followed us. My friends followed as we fly. I couldn't get close enough to see who was on the ship. Toothless shot a plasma blast at it. A few arrows shot at us, but we dodged them easily. "Shoot at the main ship!" I yelled. "That's where they're shooting from!"

I ducked as an arrow shot over our heads. "Careful," I told Toothless. He shot a few more plasma blasts at the ship. I could tell that our attackers weren't expecting us to be ready.

Finally, the ship started to sink. The rest of the ships disapeared a while ago, and I made the mistake of not telling anyone to follow them. Toothless and I saw a single man floating in the water. "Grab him, Toothless," I said. He obeyed.

We flew the man to shore and dropped him. I got off and had my sword in my hand, just in case. "Who are you?" I asked.

The man blinked. He scooted away from Toothless. "Night Fury," he whispered.

I cleared my throat. "Who are you?" I asked again.

This time, the man's eyes snapped to me. "I should ask you the same question."

"Please," I said. "I don't want any trouble. What tribe are you from and why were you attacking Berk?"

The man shrugged. "Some big brutes knocked me out and stole my ship. I am nothing but a poor fisherman. Now, who are you, boy?"

"I am Hiccup," I said. "Cheif of this tribe."

"Cheif?" The man asked, laughing a little. "You can't be more then 17. Where's you're father?"

"Dead," I said, feeling the familiar tears coming. "And I'm 20."

"Oh, I'm sorry to here that," the man said. "And could I please go now? My family will be wondering where I am."

Someone landed behind me. I didn't even glance, but I guessed it was Astrid. She put a hand on my shoulder. "Can we belive him?" She asked me.

"I don't know," I whispered. Then I cleared my throat. "Can you defend yourself?"

The man stood up. "Well, I have this bump on my head here," he pointed at a lumpy spot. "And there where no viking symbols on my sails. Isn't that enough proof?"

I thought about it. I turned to Astrid. "What do you think?" I asked her.

She shrugged. "It could be a trick." She turned back to the man. "Who attacked you?"

"Uh..." the man thought about it. "He was young, but much older then you," he pointed to me. "He was about six feet five, strange helmet, a dragon on his belt, no beard, hair in a tail-"

"Dagur?" I asked. "Chief of the Berserker tribe?" I asked.

The man thought about it. "Yes," he said. "I think that's who it was."

Astrid pulled me aside. "I think he's lying," she said.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because Dagur would of come with his armada and he wouldn't have retreated. He's too... beserk."

"What if its a trick," I said. "Dagur could be trying to confuse us. Lure us in a trap. That's something he would do."

"I don't know," Astrid said.

I glanced back at the man, or ment to. Where he used to be was nothing but a print of a man in the sand. I hit my forehead with my palm. "Urh!" I said. "He got away!"

"We'll find him," Astrid said. "See, footprints." She pointed to the indents in the sand.

"Good," I said. "Let's see where they lead."

~

We followed the footprints, but, as the luck of my dad was going, it started to rain and it washed the footprints away. I sighed. "What am I going to tell the village?" I asked. "I'll never be the chief they've wanted."

"No," Astrid said. "You'll be better then they've hoped for." She gave me a kiss. "As soon as you get it all together, you'll be a cheif no one will forget. I know that for a fact."

"Thanks, Astrid," I said. "But when will it happen?"

"Soon, I hope."