Chapter 24: Astrid

"I'm sorry."

Hiccup turned away as the whip came down again. I tried to keep a brave face on, but as the whip raked across my skin, it was hard. I let out a cry of pain.

Hiccup was crying, I could see that. That was the only reason I tried to stay strong, for him. His own back was bleeding heavily. He'd gone through way more pain then I had.

Crack!

I let a tear escape. No. I couldn't show weakness. You're a Hofferson! You can take this!

After what felt like the twentieth or so blow, it stopped. I was breathing hard and stray tears stained my cheeks. Alvin walked over to Hiccup. He barely winced when Alvin hit him once more with the whip. He whispered quietly into Hiccup's ear, which I barely caught. "I will break you."

I caught sight of Hiccup's pale, tear stained face. I had to protect him, like he protects me. That's what we do. We're a soon to be family after all! And I'm not letting Alvin kill him right before the wedding!

Alvin set him foot on Hiccup's back. Hiccup screamed in pain, which made my heart twist. I gritted me teeth. "Leave him alone, Alvin!"

Alvin turned to me with a calm look on his face. "Or what?"

"If I wasn't tied up right now, I'd kill you."

"I know. A lot of people want to kill me. Actually," Alvin pointed. "Speeking of killing, how would you feel about being an asassin for me?"

I wasn't sure I heard right. "What?"

"I need this guy off my back, but I can't kill him without setting his tribe against me."

"No," I said.

"Really? I haven't even told you who it is yet."

I didn't say anything. Was he serious? Why would I work for him if he was just going to kill me?

"Its Dagur."

"Dagur? Why'd you want to kill him? You two are a lot alike actually."

"Please," Alvin said. "I'm a much better chief. Anyway, if you do this, I'll not only let you live, but I'll set the two of you free. Wouldn't that be nice?"

"What are you playing at?" I asked him.

Alvin shrugged. "I'm not playing at anything. I just want him out of my hair. Besides, if you don't kill him, he'll kill your little boyfriend here." He pushed down on Hiccup's back harder.

"Stop!"

"Make me."

I looked at Hiccup. He was shaking his head vigorusly. I turned back to Alvin. "Let me think about it."

Alvin nodded. "I understand." He gestured to his men. "Take her to an open cell. I'll take care of the boy."

I winced as the men grabbed me. I fought feably, but the wounds from the whip weakened me. They dragged me off to the prison and Alvin grabbed Hiccup. Before I was out of earshot, Hiccup cried out with as much energy as he could muster, "I'll get you out of this mess! I promise."

"Don't give in, Hiccup!" I yelled back.

"I love you."

"I love you, too."