Chapter 31: Hiccup

Alvin dragged me to my feet. I tried to wiggle out of his grasp, but he tightened it. I have to get to Toothless!

Alvin dragged me through the war. I was still a little dazed from when Dagur had hit my with the hilt of his sword, but I tried to shake it off. My village, me people, they depended on me and I couldn't let them down!

Alvin threw me on the ground right in front of the Great Hall then but his foot on my back. "People of Berk!" Alvin yelled in a booming voice. "Throw down your weapons and surrender. If not, then say goodbye to your chief." I felt the tip of a sword on my lower back.

Being me, I couldn't just surrender to the Outcasts. Alvin would just kill me anyway. "No!" I yelled as loud as I could. Alvin stepped down on my back harder and the sword too. "If you surrender, there'll be a masacre! You have to fight back! We've worked too hard just to see our village burned to the ground!" I would have said more, but Alvin put his foot on the back of my neck, pressing my windpipe into the stone below me. I struggled to breathe.

"Drop your weapons!" Alvin yelled.

I heard a few clack to the stone. The sword on my back had gone deep enough to draw blood. I took deep breaths, trying to get air to my lungs. Tears blurred my vision. Some cheif I am... I thought. I've failed. Over 200 years and I failed. I knew I wasn't fit to be cheif.

Suddenly, I heard a soft thunk! The weight on my neck was gone and the sword was brought out. I quickly rolled away from Alvin and got to my feet. I looked up to see Alvin with a arrow sticking out the chink in his armor . Blood was already started to soak his shirt under it. But he seemed more surprised then in pain. He tried to grab me, but I backed up. He tried again and a ducked. Bad move. He grabbed me by the hair and lifted me off the ground. I cried out in pain and felt a few hairs being pulled out of my scalp. "Surrender or not, this boy dies, now!" He brought me up to his face. "You've caused me too much pain, ye little runt! I'm gonna make you feel pain, unimaginable pain, before you die, and when your village kills me, I'll be able to torment you forever in Vallhala.

I clawed at his hand, trying to make him let go, but all he cared about was my death. I couldn't think of a way out of this. You could give up, said a small voice in my head. I could. But what kind of place is there in Vallhala for cowards? No, I'd go down fighing.

Another arrow struck Alvin. He hardly winced. He was probably as beserk as Dagur was now. He marched over to the cliff's edge and held me over it. I glanced down. Sharp rocks jutted up from the surface. Even if I survived the fall, those rocks would be my doom. I clenched my teeth and looked Alvin in the eye. "Congragulations," I said though gritted teeth. "You've beat someone about thirty years younger then you. That's sure to get you to Vallhala."

"Oh, I bet Loki's watching this with a smirk on his face," Alvin sneered. "You've been a good enemy, Hiccup, but all good stories come to an end."

Then, he let go of my hair, and I went plummeting to my death.

~

I'm not sure what happened next. Then next thing I knew, was I woke up in bed and everything hurt. My head was spinning, my scalp hurt, and I had a bandage wrapped around my middle.

Wait! I tought. It hurts. I-I'm not dead!

There were whispers outside my door. Wait...I was in my room. It was dark and silent.

My door opened and my mother walked in. Her worried face broke out into a smile. "You're up!" She exclaimed.

I smiled then winced. "W-what happened." My voice came out in a dry croak.

My mother touched a hand to my forhead. "You're burning up."

At that moment, a wave of nausia hit me. I tried to swollow it, bit I felt bile making its way up my thoat. I leaned over the bed and emptied my stomach. My mother gently rubbed my back, huming under her breath.

When I finally stopped, my mom helped my back to a comfortable possion. "I shouldn't be enjoying this as much as I am," my mom said, brushing hair out of my eyes. "I missed you."

"Me too," I croaked out, tears welling up in my eyes.

My mother kissed my forehead. "I was so worried."

"Oh, it wasn't that bad," I lied.

Mom smiled softly. "You're a terrible lier Hiccup, just like me. But I did see the scars." She sighed. "It reminded my of how strong you are. Just like your father."

A tear rolled down my cheek. I quickly brushed it away. "I still miss him."

"Me too," mom said. "But no one lives forever. No matter his hard we try."

I nodded. I decided to change the subject. "Is Astrid okay?"

My mother's face broke into a smile. "I've almost had to strap her down to her bed to keep her there."

I smiled. Yup, there's the fiance I know.

"I'll go get her," mom said, leaving the room.

About a minute later, the door opened again and Astrid was hobbling over to me, a hand on her stomach. "Hiccup!" She exclaimed, her face beaming. She made it to the end of my bed and sat on my foot. "Oh, sorry," she said, moving.

I couldn't help smiling. Even after being stabbed, she was still on her feet. She leaned over and kissed me. I kissed her back. She burried her face into my shoulder. "I thought you were gone."

"I did too," I said.

We kissed again. Then she sat up. "Oh boy, not Toothless will be dying to see you.

I smiled. "Where is he?"

"Downstairs. I'll go-"

"No," mom said. "I'll get him. You stay right there."

Astrid was twirling her ring around her finger. I smiled. "I'm glad you like that."

Astrid smiled. "You've never left my thoughts. Whenever I see it, I think of you."

I smiled. We were interupted when the door sung open and Toothless bounded in, his tounge hanging out. He jumped onto my bed and started to lick me to death. "Toothless!" I yelled, laughing. "You know that doesn't wash out!"

Here was my family, and I couldn't change if for the world.

~theshipper101~
Done?
Not quite
Expect an epiloge chapter in the near future!