Chapter 11: Astrid

I sat in the great hall with the rest of the village. Valka sat next to me. Everyone was a little restless. We weren't expecting this for a long time. Hiccup hadn't chosen a stand in cheif yet.

When everyone was was here, everything got quiet. I closed my eyes. You can do this, I told myself. Don't break down.

I took a deep breath, opened my eyes, and stood in front of the village. All eyes where glued on me. I cleared my throat. "As you all know, our cheif has been taken by the Outcasts. We need to think of a plan to get him back. We're not strong enough for a full out war, so we'll have to be stealthy."

"Now, I know that we all have dragons. In fact, if you don't, you should get one soon. Anyways, to save Hiccup, we're going to have to use the dragons. They may be our only advantage over the outcasts." Assuming that Alvin hasn't tortured Hiccup into training them, I thought darkly.

No! I firmly told myself. Hiccup hasn't given up hope and you can't dissapoint him. He's fine. He's still alive and well. I took a deep breath before continuing. "Alright, first we need a few spies to see where Hiccup's being kept, how many guards are stationed and what there doing to him. If we do this, we'll know what we're up against. This'll be phase 1. If we can get past this one, I'll annouce phase 2. Dismissed."

The vikings got up and left at there own pace. I sighed  with relief. At least that's over with.

Valka came over to me and smiled. "You did well," she said. "Hiccup would be proud of you."

I let my shoulders sag. "If he were here I wouldn't have to do this."

My future mother-in-law put an arm around me. "Don't worry." This was probably the tenth time Valka's comforted me. I mean, he's just my fiance. She's his mother for Thor's sake! I should be comforting her.

I looked down. "I-I think I just need a little sleep."

Valka nodded. "I'll take care of everything. Don't worry. I'll walk you home."

I nodded. As we were walking out, Toothless blocked our way. He gave me a look that said, I thought you needed me.

I scratched Toothless behind the ears. "I'm sorry, Toothless," I said. "But I had to say something to get you off the beach."

Toothless's face turned more annoyed.

"Come on, boy," Valka said. "Let's go home."

Toothless followed us as we walked home. It was getting late, but vikings where still out and about. I shivered a little. It always got cold at night. I'd have to light a fire. Valka walked me all the way to my house and then hugged me. "It won't be long now. We have a plan and I know it will work."

"How do you know?" I asked.

"I have to have confedence that it'll all work out in the end. This is Hiccup we're talking about. He's persistant." She let go of me. "Get some rest," she said. "We're going to have a long day tomorrow."

I nodded. "Night, mom," I said. It felt so normal. I opened my door and stepped in the cold, dark house. I could feel the tears forming in my eyes even as I started to shut the door. I leaned against it in a desperate attepmt to hold it all together, but when I was alone, I didn't have to be strong for anyone. I slid down the door to the cold, hard floor. I buried my head in my arms for the tenth time and cried my eyes out. "Oh, Hiccup." I whispered.