Chapter 7: Astrid

I watched as the Outcasts sailed away with Hiccup. I was standing where Hiccup and I had stood when his father had found out that Hiccup had Toothless and had taken him to the ships and to the dragon's nest. There was a lump in my throat and I was afraid if anyone tried to talk to me, I'd break.

I looked at the engagment ring Hiccup had forged for me. It wasn't really an ordinary viking tradition, but Hiccup said that the ring symbolised that we'd be together forever, never ending love, like the ring. He'd taken time out of his hours when he was suppose to be asleep to do it because of all the chief work he had to do. I still remember the day he proposed, clear as day...

~flashback~

Hiccup tied a cloth around my eyes. "What are you doing?" I asked him.

"I'm bringing you some place special," Hiccup said. "Now, do you trust me?" He asked.

"Oh, no," I said. "This is a trust exersise, isn't it?"

"Well, more or less," Hiccup said. I felt his hand go around mine. "Now, you're right next to Toothless. Swing your leg over his side."

"Aren't you suppose to be chiefing?" I asked him.

"This is more important," he said. 

"Let me guess," I said. "New dragon?"

"Nope," Hiccup said. Wow. I'd never seen him so exited over something that wasn't a new dragon. I swung my leg over Toothless' back. I felt Hiccup get on in front of me. "Hold on," he said. I heard his metal foot click into place and I hugged him around the waist.

Toothless flew up. I remembered my first flight on him. The thought made me smile. Hiccup, the boy who trained the first dragon, my boyfriend, had almost killed me. But after all that was done, it was the most romantic thing anyone had ever done for me. I'd never admit it, but I had a sorta crush on Hiccup for a while before he trained the dragon. Like, not a crush, crush, but enough to make me not able to look him in the face and talk to him.

Anyway, I'm getting off track. We flew a fairly short distance before landing. Hiccup helped me off Toothless as I ripped off the cloth. We where in the cove. Standing in the same spot where I gave Hiccup the first kiss I'd ever given a boy before. Yeah, it was on the cheek, but it was enough. I smiled and brushed the bangs out of my face. "What are we doing here?" I asked.

Hiccup shrugged. "Just thought of all the memories of this place."

I looked around with a smile. "Come on," I said. "Why'd you really bring me here?"

Hiccup cleared his throat awkwardly. "Um, w-wait right here. I'll be right back."

I watched as he went over to Toothless and took something out of his saddlebag. He had his hand securly around the small thing. He looked me in the eye. He was dead serious. "Close your eyes and hold out his hand."

I did what he told me to do. I heard him sigh. Something small and round was dropped into my hand. It was suprisingly light, I could barely tell it was there.

"Okay," Hiccup said. "Open your eyes."

I looked down at my hand. There was a small, gold ring sitting there. It had a gemstone in the middle that was green. "W-what is it?" I asked, knowing it was something important.

Hiccup absentmindedly scratched the back of his head. "Its a ring."

"I know that," I said. "What does it mean?"

"Well," Hiccup said. "Its not exactly what I'm suppose to do, but I thought it would be a good way to propose."

I blinked. "You mean..." my voice died.

Hiccup nodded. "Astrid Hofferson, would you do me the honor of being my wife?"

I felt tears sping in my eyes. My mouth was parted slightly in surprise. Then I broke out into a grin and put the ring on my middle, left finger. "Yes!" I said, tackleing Hiccup in a hug. He seemed to relax. I had tears of pure joy streaming down my face. We both sat on the ground, unable to stop laughing and crying and smileing. Then, I kissed him. He kissed me back. "I love you, Milady," he whispered to me.

"I love you too, dragon boy." I whispered back.

~End of Flashback~

I looked up from my ring. The tears threatened to spill. The ship was out of sight and Hiccup was gone. He's gone.

I finally gave up on trying to be tough, slid to the ground and buried my face in my hands and cried.

I cried for about three minutes before I felt a hand on my shoulder. I whipped my head up to see my future mother-in-law standing over me. "Not taking it too well, I see," she said, sitting down next to me.

I wiped my eyes but didn't say anything.

"I know," Valka said. "But don't worry. Hiccup's stronger then he looks. We just have to be ready for whatever the Outcasts throw at us."

"But why now?" I asked, the tears blurred my vision once again. I twirled Hiccup's ring around my finger. His hands where so delecate with it. What would happen to him on that hostile island? Horrible thoughts clouded my mind of an onconscous figure of Hiccup at the Mercy of Alvin. Hiccup had escaped once before with the help of Toothless. Now Toothless was somewhere on the beach, waiting for Hiccup to return, refusing to let anyone touch him or try to feed him. "What if-"

Valka cut me off. "Never base anything off a what if. If you do, you'll start to belive it. I see that now. I thought Berk would never change, but now," she waved her hand. "Everyone has dragons. Never give up hope, Astrid. Especially on Hiccup. He'll be back here in no time and you can finally have your wedding. I'm looking forward to it." She stood up and offered her hand. I took it and she pulled me to my feet. "I've always wanted a daughter."