Chapter 15: Astrid

I sat on Stormfly, applying the last little bits to my disgise. An outcast woman. I glanced at the other teens. They looked the part too. If we were going to find Hiccup, we had to have a plan.

We had this idea that if we were seen, we couldn't be imprisoned like Hiccup. We'd leave our dragons on the beach then sneak into the prison. I decided we wouldn't save Hiccup just yet. We'd never get out alive if we tried. If we just knew where he was, we could run in and run out but since his location was a mystery, we had to find him first.

I moved my hair over my shoulder. It felt uncomfortable because I had it down. I'd also put paint in it like I did when I was pertending to be heather. Now, I looked like a young, outcast woman. Even my armor and headband looked the part.

I glanced at Fishlegs. He had his outcast helmet over his eyes and a scared expression. "Is this really nessesary?" He asked. "Won't you need someone here to guard the village?"

"I am leaving someone to guard the village," I said. "Valka said she'd do her best."

"But I thought she was coming with us."

I shrugged. "She said Cloudjumper would be spotted too easily."

Something brushed my hand. It was difficult to see the dragon in the fading light, but the big, green eyes gave away that it was Toothless. He gestured to his saddle.

"Oh, I'm sorry Toothless," I said. "But no one else can ride you. Only Hiccup can control your tail."

I saw Toothless shoulders slack. He ploped down with a huff. I scratched him behind the ears. "Keep a lookout," I told him. "Protect Berk."

He didn't move. He was in a mood and I decided to ignore him. He'd been like this since Hiccup left, moody and cut off. Another reason we had to get Hiccup back.

"Are you guys ready?" I asked.

Everyone nodded grimly. We all knew how dangerous this mission was. It was going to be even more dangerous to break Hiccup out.

Everyones dragons shot off silently. We even had to but mud on them, just in case we where spotted. No one spoke, not even the twins.

About half an hour later, we landed on the beach of outcast island. We found a cave for our dragons to hide out in. If we needed them, we could always call. I took a deep breath. "Let's go," I breathed to the others.

We all split up. We where disgused, but I wasn't sure how long it would fool anyone. I slipped silently behind the prison. If Alvin was keeping Hiccup anywhere, it was probably here. Two guards where stationed outside the doors. I bit my lip. I'd have to try another way.

There was a tap on my shoulder, and I went into to total defense mode. I grabbed the arm and flung the viking over my shoulder. There was a muffled grunt from the man I flipped over. I was about to lob off his head with my ax when he squeeked "Wait!"

It was Snotlout.

"Don't surprise my like that!" I said, letting him free.

He got up and brushed himself off. "How are we going to get in?" He asked me.

"I dont-" I was about to say when a crazy idea entered my mind. "Wait! I've got it!"

~

"So you've got the plan?" I asked Snotlout.

"This is the worst plan you've ever thought of," Snotlout said, glaring at me.

"Hey," I said. "You came to me. Its not my fault it wasn't Fishlegs or one of the twins.

"Did you have to make the ropes so tight?" Snotlout asked.

"You're a terrible actor!" I said. "Now move!" I said the last part louder, pushing Snotlout in front of me. That got the guard's attention. They raused their wepons at us. "I've got 'em," I saif, trying to mask my voice.

The guard gave me a look put I glared at him and he eventually let us pass. I pushed Snotlout in before me. He tripped, almost falling flat on his face. I almost laughed, but that would've blone my cover.

Once we where inside, I untied the ropes on Snotlout's hands. "You go that way," I said. "If you find him, don't move."

He nodded and ran off. I turned down the other way. I really really really hoped he was here. If he wasn't...

No, I told mysef firmly. Alvin wouldn't have given him up so easily.

I peered in each cell. Some where occupied, but most where empty. I held my ax in my hand, prepared to strike at any time.

When I got to the end, I hadn't seen Hiccup. I chose another tunnel. Man, this place was big! Still, no sign of Hiccup.

Eventually I ran into Snotlout again. "Did you find him?" I asked him.

He shook his head. "I thought you did."

Perfect. Well, where else could he be? What if we're too late?

I shook my head. We couldn't be late. I wouldn't accept it. "Come on," I told Snotlout. "We'll have to wait for the others down by our dragons.

~

The truth it, we didn't have to wait for the others at all. They all where waiting for us. They all looked up. "Did you find him?" Fishlegs asked.

I shook my head. "He wasn't in the prison."

"Really?" Fishlegs asked. "Weird."

"Did either of you see him?" Snotlout asked the twins. Tuffnut shrugged. "Wait, who where we trying to find?"

Ruffnut punched Tuffnut in the shoulder. "Hiccup, you idiot!"

"Oh, right. I knew that."

"I'll take that as a no," I sighed. "Well, we'd better get back to Berk. The others might assume that we'd been captured too. Let's go."

I got on Stormfly and rubbed the ring Hiccup gave me. I knew he wasn't gone. He couldn't be. Maybe we missed a tunnel, or something. Maybe we even passed him and didn't notice. I mean, it was pretty dark in there.

I looked back at Outcast island once we where in the air. I hovered there for a little bit and saw Alvin walking out of what looked like a great hall with two outcasts behind him. He was in a hurry, heading right where our dragons had been hidden a minute ago. "Let's go, girl," I muttered to Stormfly who speed forwards.

It started to rain, like a downpour. I shivered. "It's okay, girl," I said. "Just keep moving. we'll be home any moment."

After twenty minutes or so of flying, we finally landed on Berk. The villagers rushed out of there houses despite the rain, asking where the chief was. "Call everyone into the great hall," I told Snotlout and Fishlegs. "I'll tell them the bad news."