Chapter 2: Astrid

After I brought Toothless back to Hiccup's house, I bumped into Valka or, I should say, my future mother-in-law.

"Ah, hello Astrid," Valka said. "Hiccup late again?"

"Yeah," I said. "He'll never learn, will he."

"He's still a boy," Valka said. "Being chief is hard for him. He just needs a little more free time."

"I know," I said, sighing. "How did you manage it? I mean, er, Stoick being chief and you two in love?"

Valka smiled. "You get used to it," Valka said. "Besides, when Hiccup gets everything in order, you'll see him more often."

I smiled. "Thanks, Mrs. Haddock."

Valka smiled. "You can call me mum, if you want."

"Oh," I said, my face heating up a little. "Okay, mom."

Valka laughed. "It'll be a good day when Hiccup finally marries you. You're a sweet girl, Astrid. I'm glad Hiccup chose you."

"Thanks Mrs.- I mean, mom," I blushed deeper.

"Now run off," Valka said. "I know there's a dragon race you don't want to miss."

"Yeah," I said. "Um, actually, I need to take care of Toothless real quick."

"Oh, I've got him," Valka said. "He's in good hands. Thanks for brining him over."

"Yup," I said. "Bye!"

I hoped on Stormfly and flew over to the race. I smacked my forhead. "Oh, why does Valka scare me so much?" I asked Stormfly. "She's my future mother-in-law! I should be comfortable with her by now."

Stormfly scwaked at me. She seemed to say, Well, she hasn't been around for 20 years and everyone is a little nervous around her.

"I guess so," I told her. "I'd better get comfortable, and fast."

I started wondering how Hiccup's meeting was going. I glanced down at the Great Hall. I saw vikings leaving, fleeing like rats. What did he do this time? I asked myself. I was about to go down and ask when the horn blew for the dragon race. I thought it was rediculous to start the race without Hiccup, but I decided he'd be here any minute, so I went ahead and raced.

~

Even after the race ended, and  I naturally won, there was no sign of Hiccup or Toothless. I decided to see if he was at home, inventing or something.

I landed outside his house. I knocked and Valka answered. "Is Hiccup home?" I asked.

Valka looked sad. "He's sleeping."

"How'd the meeting go?" I asked, almost scared of the answer.

Valka sighed. "Not good, I'm afraid."

"What happened?"

"Oh, Gobber told me the villagers didn't want to follow Hiccup in hiding until we're strong enough to defend ourselves."

"What happened after that?" I asked. Even though he never wanted to be chief, I knew he'd try his best to stay strong like his dad. He'd never miss time trying to be chief by sleeping.

"Well," Valka said. "I think being chief's had quite an impact on him. He can't accept Stoick's death and... well... he's not going so good."

"C-can I go see him?" I asked.

"If he's awake."

I nodded. "Thank you." I tried not to run up the stairs to Hiccup's room. I opened the door, trying not to make it creak. I saw the tear tracks on Hiccup's cheeks. He tried to be strong, but I could see past all that. It all happened so fast. Too fast.

I was about to leave when I heard Hiccup mutter, "How'd the race go?"

I stopped and tried for a small smile. "Good. I won."

"Naturally," Hiccup said, sitting up. He was still wearing his flight suit, which I doubted could be comfortable. He rubbed the back of his neck. "How long was I asleep?" He asked me.

I shrugged. "However long the dragon races took, so about half an hour to two hours."

Hiccup rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and stood up. "Oh, I still have so much to do today! Im losing daylight!"

"Its not even lunch time," I said. "It'll be fine."

Hiccup gave me a quick kiss. "Thanks for being so supportive."

"That's what I'm here for," I said.

"Look," Hiccup said. "I'm really sorry about having to push off our wedding so much. Its just, all the stuff with still cleaning the village from the Alpha attack, all the upgrades on everything, tryinf to run the village right-"

I cut him off by pulling him into a kiss. "I love how you always apoligize, even when you don't need to."

Hiccup gave me a dorky smile. "It's a good thing that its my specialty."

The moment was ruined by the blast of the warning horn. Hiccup and I gave each other, What the heck? looks. We ran down the stairs. Toothless followed us out the door.

Valka ran up to us. "Mom," Hiccup said. "What's going on?"

"There's a ship attacking!" She said. "We'd better get out there!"