Chapter 30: Hiccup

The battle was a hazy blur. I could tell we were holding them back. Near the begining of the battle, I had found my flight suit in Stormfly's saddlebag. I sliently thanked Astrid for it.

Now, Toothless was shooting down Outcasts left and right. We were advancing, vikings and dragons alike.

I spotted Alvin in the crowd. He raised his sword. "Let's get em lads!"
The Outcasts rushed forwards again. We held them off and gained the advantage again. We were the ones with dragons after all.

Arrows flew overhead, battlecries were heard, swords clashed. I griminced at those noises. They made me uncomfortable. I never did like hearing the stories of great battles as a kid. They mostly scared me and made me want to hide under the covers to block it out. But here I was, leading this battle.

Toothless and I were flying overhead, dodging arrows and taking out ships, catapults and Outcasts. I felt unstopable up here.

Of course, that was short lived. Something thew a bola and I hit Toothless' tail. We fell to the ground, hard. I quickly jumped up and cut the ropes with my knife.

I wasn't fast enough. Someone kicked me, hard, in the chest. I flew back on the impact and fell on my back. The throbbing pain, which had finally turned into just a part of life, suddenly turned into needles stabbing pain. I quickly got to my feet and was facing Alvin. I saw deep hatred in his eyes. "Ready to finish this, boy?"

I gritted my teeth and drew out my sword. I lit it on fire and stood ready for Alvin to attack.

Alvin swung downwards at my head, but I jumped back. Alvin sneered at me. "You have no idea how much I'm enjoying this."

"Well, I have a pretty good idea," I said. I took a swing at Alvin, but he easily deflected my blow. I backed up a few steps. Alvin smirked. "You're just a scared little boy." With every word he got closer. On the last one, he swung his sword at my side. I deflected it.

There was a cry from behind Alvin and then a plasma blast flew over our heads. I smiled at the distraction and ran to Toothless' side. "Don't worry, bud," I said. "I'll get you out of this." I found were I had been cutting before and sawed through the rest of it.

I turned to jump on Toothless, but I noticed an arrow sticking out of his front leg. "Toothless!"

He shook his head and nudged me to get on. I gave in, but didn't touch his injured leg. First Astrid and now Toothless? I set my jaw and turned towards Alvin. "Its one thing to hurt me to get what you want," I said. "But now you've hurt my friends and tribe. I'm the cheif and its my duty to protect my people!"

Alvin narrowed his eyebrows. "Yeah, well I have certain duties too. And once I'm done with you, the dragons and your people will be enslaved."

I grabbed the knife off my armor and threw it at Alvin. I hadn't been the best at knife throwing, so he easily dodged it. Toothless took off, with some difficulty because of his leg.

I ducked as an arrow soared over my head. "We've just gotta get to Gobber's shop. There we'll have enough weapons to hold Alvin off with."

I could feel every flap of Toothless' wings grow heavier with each couple feet. I stroked his head. "Good boy, Toothless. We're almost there."

We crash landed about twenty feet from Gobber's shop. "Toothless!" I yelled. I jumped off his and went in front of him. He blinked and looked up at me. He shook his head and pushed me forwards with his snout.

Too late. Something slammed into me, throwing me backwards. But, it wasn't Alvin. It was Dagur. Great.

"Ah, Hiccup," Dagur said with a smile. "So nice to see you! I believe I'm here to claim the prize of killing you myself, eh?"

I took my sword out and quickly stood up. "What's so great about killing me anyways?"

"Oh, you know I like to claim a prize that's mine. You're the one that keeps getting in the way of my plans, after all. Why shouldn't it be great to kill you're enemy?" Dagur struck.

I parried. "Is this war really nessisary for just getting a hold of me?"

Dagur swung again. I blocked and threw in my own blow. He easily deflected it. We went on like this for a while. His sword was stronger then most. I guessed that it was made from steel.

I was starting to wonder were Alvin was. I thought he'd be here by now. Then they'd both be at my throat.

Dagur was trying to get through the weak spots and chinks in my armor. He'd only succeded in giving me a cut in the arm, that was just deep enough to sting.

Dagur eventually disarmed me. Toothless was trying to limp over to help, but he would never get here in time.

The hilt of Dagur's sword hilt came and hit me in the face. My helmet protected me for the most part, but the blow still knocked me off my feet.

"Say hi to your dad for me, Hiccup," he said, raising the sword above my head and pushed my on my back with his foot. I tried to wiggle free, but he put more weight on my chest. "Goodbye, Hiccup."

I dug my fingernails in the mud under me, waiting for the steel to peirce my heart, but it never came. I looked up at Dagur. There was a sword through his heart. He was pushed aside and Alvin was standing over me. "Hello, Hiccup. Let's finish this thing."