(1) The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing

Chapter One

Randy's car jerked and came to a stop as he slammed on the breaks. He had picked me up to take me out to dinner at some fancy restaurant that he had read about on the Internet. The thing is that I wasn't sure whether I would be able to go through with breaking up with him once we got to the restaurant and he started acting all cute and sexy. So instead I told him that we needed to talk. At first he said that we could talk at the restaurant but then he saw the look on my face and drove past our turn off.

"You want to break up with me? After two years?" Randy shouted in astonishment.

"I don't want to hurt you Randy, I love you," I replied, trying to calm him down. It was true, I really do love him and I probably always will. The thing is that I just don't love him in the same way that he loves me. I love him as a friend but he was talking about things like getting married and having kids and I just couldn't picture it, not with him.

"If you love me, why are you dumping me?" he asked, confusion and hurt written all over his face.

"That's exactly why I am dumping you, because I love you too much to let this go on. I know how much you love me and I honestly believe that you are the greatest guy alive but I can't keep on pretending. I just don't feel that way about you anymore," I said truthfully. I didn't want to hurt him but I didn't see any other way out.

"Get out," Randy said without looking at me. I could tell that he was trying to be strong but the tremble in his voice gave him away. I wanted to say no and tell him that I didn't mean what I said but I couldn't, I couldn't keep leading him on just because I didn't want to cause him pain. He'll get over it eventually and then he will find somebody who will treat him right and love him the way he should be loved.

"Please don't do anything stupid," I whispered before opening the door and getting out. He didn't answer. As soon as I shut the door he sped off leaving me in a cloud of dust. I stood there for a second fighting the urge to cry. I promised myself that I wouldn't but I also knew that it was a promise I wouldn't be able to keep.

I waited a few minutes before I pulled my cell phone out of my purse and dialed Kyle's number. He answered immediately just like he always does.

"Hi Sweet Thing," he greeted me. Kyle only called me by my real name when he was angry at me, which was almost never.

"Hey," I replied, my voice shuddering.

"So you finally dumped him," Kyle said, he knew me so well, sometimes I think he knows me better then I know myself.