(19) The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing

Chapter Nineteen

Once I got to the bathroom I slowed my pace and stepped inside one of the shower stalls. I stripped off my clothes, turned on the water and let it soak over my tense muscles. I wasn’t planning on taking my time but as soon as the warm water touched my skin I changed my mind. I gently scrubbed my body and washed my hair. When I was done I spent another few minutes just letting the water soak over me before getting out, drying myself off and getting dressed.

I let my hair hang loose and added some make up to try and make myself look a little bit more presentable and less hung over. When I was done I stuffed my dirty clothes in my bag and made my way back over to our tent. Kyle was lying on the mattress where I left him.

“I’m back,” I said as I stepped inside. Kyle didn’t answer so I put down my bag and bent over him to see if he was sleeping. His eyes were shut and his mouth slightly open. I had a sudden urge to bend down and kiss him. I cursed myself silently and stepped out of the tent before I could do something stupid.

Olivia was still sitting outside the big tent but Sophia had disappeared and was replaced by Craig, Oliver, Randy and Emma. I had no idea where Sophia or Aiden were and to be honest, I really didn’t care. I looked at them for a few seconds wondering if I should join them and then reconsidered, knowing that it was a very bad idea.

I wasn’t sure what to do so I just walked down the beach and sat down on the sand. It didn’t take long before I heard somebody walking my way. I looked up and saw that it was Randy.

“Can I sit with you?” he asked, smiling sweetly.

“I guess,” I replied, not really wanting company but not feeling like being rude to him. He has been nothing but nice to me and telling him that he couldn’t sit with me would have been really nasty. He sat down next to me and reached his hand out to take mine. I would have pulled away but he must have realized what he was doing before I could because he pulled back his hand and settled it in his lap.

“How are you doing?” he asked his voice full of concern.

“Not to good,” I answered, honestly.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Randy questioned.

“No, not really,” I answered, laughing slightly at how horrible my life was at the moment.

“Ok, then what do you want to talk about?” he asked.

“How about Sharks?” I questioned, smiling at my own randomness.

“Sharks,” Randy repeated as a smile formed on his face.

We chatted for a little while about nothing important and then we headed back to the camp site. Randy headed over to the rest of the group and I went to my tent. Kyle was awake when I stepped inside and greeted me with a huge smile.

“I missed you,” he said, pushing himself up into a sitting position and patting the mattress next to him.

“You were sleeping, you couldn’t have missed me,” I replied jokingly as I sat down.

“Well I did, why didn’t you wake me up?” he asked.

“Because you are obviously very tired. What time did you go to sleep last night?” I questioned, hoping he wasn’t going to say what I was expecting.

“I didn’t really sleep at all, I was way too worried about you,” Kyle answered making me feel awfully guilty for acting like a complete fool and keeping him out of his sleep.

“You didn’t have to do that,” I half whispered, my throat clogging up with emotion.

“Yes I did,” Kyle said, pulling me onto his lap. He wrapped his arms around me and held me tightly against him. I felt better immediately but my body also reacted in ways it shouldn’t and I considered pulling away but I didn’t. I needed Kyle now more then ever and I wasn’t going to do anything stupid. I will just have to get over whatever I was feeling for him and running away from it wasn’t going to help.