(13) The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing

Chapter Thirteen

I plugged my IPod into Kyle's stereo and selected a play list I created for our trip. It was a bunch of my and Kyle's favorite songs. He smiled at me as the first song started playing and I felt myself relaxing. Everything's going to be fine I told myself as I sat back in my seat and watched the scenery fly by.

We reached Gracie's diner at around one pm. It was a small town and there was a big statue of a cow outside the diner. I didn't understand why it was there since it had absolutely nothing to do with anything but I guess we're going to come across a lot of things that didn't make sense on our trip.

There were a few cars in the parking lot but the place was far from busy. Kyle found us a parking near the entrance and Craig parked the minivan next to us. As we all made our way into the diner I found myself wishing that it was just me and Kyle by ourselves. That would certainly be more fun.

There wasn't a table big enough for all of us so Craig and Randy pulled three of the small tables together, creating one big one. Kyle sat down at the end like he always does at school in the cafeteria and I sat down next to him. Olivia saw me sitting down and ran over to me so that she could sit next to me. Everybody else sat down and a waitress brought us some menus. It was actually quite funny because she really looked like a waitress that you would find in a movie. She wore a little mini skirt with a tight top and a pink apron hanging over it. She had blond curly hair that was tied up into a pony and wore blue eye shadow and red lipstick. It was classic.

We all ordered the same legendary Gracie's burger but with different drinks. I ordered a strawberry milkshake since they have always been my favorite. Kyle ordered a coke and I honestly didn't bother listening to what the rest of the table ordered. Once the waitress disappeared with our orders Kyle and I looked at each other and burst out laughing.

"What's so funny?" Olivia asked curiously.

"The waitress, didn't you see?" I asked, still laughing.

"No, not really. I'll check her out when she comes back," Olivia replied looking disappointed, as if she missed out on a huge joke.

Everybody was chatting excitedly and it really looked like they were all having a blast. Both Craig and Randy sneaked looks at me every now and then but I just ignored them. I didn't want to make this trip and harder than it already was. At one point Randy forgot that he wasn't supposed to stare at me. Emma noticed it and elbowed him in the ribs. He immediately turned his attention to the menu in front of him while Emma glared at me.

It took a while for the waitress to return with our orders but the food was honestly worth the wait. Whoever said they had the best burgers weren't lying. It was incredible. The burger was huge and at first I thought I wasn't going to be able to eat the whole thing but I just couldn't get myself to stop.

"I need the bathroom," Olivia said, turning to me.

"Yeah me too," I replied. As we got up to head to the bathroom her little sister jumped up and followed us.

Once we were inside we used the toilets and then freshened up a bit. Olivia replaced her lipstick and since I didn't want to look like an idiot I replaced mine as well.

"Kyle's cute," Sophia said, standing behind us.

"Kyle's gay," Olivia replied before I could say anything.

"Oh," Sophia sighed, sounding very disappointed.

"You shouldn't be looking at other guy's anyway, what about Aiden?" I asked, not liking the fact that they were discussing Kyle.