(25) The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing

Chapter Twenty Five

Making love to Kyle was better than I could ever have imagined. He is so gently with me, yet rough and sexy at the same time.

We spent the rest of our summer break just hanging around, laughing, kissing and making love. My mom returned home a few days after we did and needless to say, she was quite surprised when she walked into the living room and found me and Kyle lying on the couch kissing. I was too embarrassed to explain but Kyle didn’t seem to mind. He told my mom how much he loves me and how happy I make him. Luckily she really likes him because I’m sure if it was some other guy she wouldn’t have accepted it so easily. After a bit of explaining she agreed that everything could stay as it is and actually confessed that she always hoped that Kyle and I would somehow end up together.

“You look beautiful,” Kyle said as I pulled open his car door and got in beside him.

“Thank you,” I whispered as I leaned forward and pressed my lips against his. I really missed him last night and although we spent most of the night on the phone I’ve never been so relieved to see him. Today was the first day back to school and Kyle had gone home last night to get all of his things together.

When we finally stopped kissing Kyle pulled onto the road and I settled back into my seat. I was really nervous about going back to school. I haven’t seen or heard from anyone who was on the road trip with us and today I was sure to have to face them. I sighed and looked down at my hands, noticing the beautiful diamond ring that was still on my ring finger.

A few days after we arrived home from the road trip Kyle had set up a little pick nick for us in my back yard. We swam and ate and then when it got dark we laid on a blanket and stared up at the stars. As we laid there I noticed the ring on my finger and since we never spoke about the ring after that night at the club I decided to ask him.

“Why did you ask me to keep it on this finger?” I asked, lifting my hand up into the air so that he could see what I was talking about. He looked at the ring on my wedding finger and then turned onto his side so that he was facing me.

“Because I want you to be mine forever and I know we are still young and in school so I was hoping that you would wear it as a sign that you are mine. Kind of like an engaged to be engaged ring,” he answered nervously.

I smiled at the memory and at the thought of what his words meant. He wanted me to be his forever and there is nothing I have ever wanted more.

The sight of the school pulled my mind out of my thoughts and back to reality.

“Why couldn’t we just stay at home?” I asked as Kyle pulled his car into a parking space and shut off the engine.

“Because it’s the first day of a new semester and I know you hate missing class,” Kyle replied as he opened his door and got out. I didn’t move though, not wanting to face the day.

I watched as Kyle walked around the car, looking sexy as hell and opened my door for me.

“Must we really?” I asked, still trying to get out of it.

“Yeah,” Kyle chuckled, holding his hand out to me. I sighed and took it as I threw my back pack over my shoulder. Kyle closed the door behind me and then started leading me towards the school.

We were holding hands and I was walking much closer to him than I usually did when we were just friends but nobody seemed to know that we are a couple yet. I knew it wouldn’t take them long to find out though and I also knew that I was going to have to face a lot of comment but I didn’t care about that. The only thing I was worried about was facing Randy, Olivia and Craig.

“Do you want to do it now or later?” Kyle asked from beside me. I wasn’t sure what he was talking about so I followed the direction he was looking in and saw Randy and Olivia standing close by at his car.

“What do you think?” I asked, focusing my attention back onto Kyle.

“I think that we should go over there and see how they react to us,” Kyle replied.

“Ok, let’s do it,” I agreed.

Kyle started leading me towards them and was we got closer I notice something that I didn’t expect. Randy and Olivia were holding hands. It was a bit of a surprise but I couldn’t stop myself from feeling happy for them. They are both really amazing people and deserved to be happy.

Olivia was looking at us nervously but Randy gave us a smile as we finally reached them.

“Hi,” I said, feeling awkward.

“Hey,” Olivia replied and Randy nodded his head in greeting.

“I just wanted to see how you guys are doing,” I stated, taking a step closer to Kyle. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me against him, letting me know that he was there for me.

“We are ok,” Olivia answered, looking a bit more at ease now.

“That’s good,” I stated, feeling uneasy. I wasn’t really sure what to say to them.

“Are you two dating now?” Randy asked, speaking for the first time.

“Yeah we are. How about you two?” Kyle asked, referring to their interlocked hands.

“Kind of, we’re taking things slow,” Olivia replied, looking at me.

“I’m glad for you guys, I hope it works out,” I said honestly, smiling at both of them.

All of us just stared at each other for a while before I found the guts to say what I really wanted to.

“I’m so sorry Olivia, I never wanted to hurt you,” I stated, hoping she would someday find it in her heart to forgive me.

“I know and although you really did hurt me I’m not angry at you anymore. In a way I am kind of thankful, if it wasn’t for you I never would have realized what an asshole Craig is,” Olivia replied, smiling slightly as the bell rang.

“We should get going,” Randy said, pulling Olivia toward the school.

“OK, we’ll see you around,” Kyle replied as we watched them walk away.

“That wasn’t so bad,” I breathed, feeling relieved. I thought that Olivia would hate me but now I had some hope that we could somehow put our friendship back together.

“No, it wasn’t,” Kyle agreed as we started making our way into school.

The news about what happened on our road trip quickly spread through the school and by lunch time everybody knew that Kyle and I were together. Some kids called me ugly names and some seemed to be happy for us but none of it mattered. The only thing that mattered is that Kyle and I were finally together and I was happier than I ever imagined possible.

The End