(3) The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing

Chapter Three

It was the longest twenty minutes of my life. I felt awkward and hated myself for hurting him. When the bell finally rang Randy grabbed his back pack and stormed out of the class room. I could hear people whispering as the rest of the kids in the class started making their way out. I didn't look up, not wanting to see their questioning expressions. I waited until the class was empty before I got up. I knew I wouldn't be able to escape the questions and gossip but I wanted to put it off for as long as I could. Kyle waited with me and then we walked to our next class. It was at the other side of the school but luckily the halls were mostly empty since we waited so long to leave homeroom.

The thing that I didn't think about was that our next class would already be filled with kids when we got there. Kyle pushed open the door and as soon as I stepped inside everybody started to whisper. I knew it was going to happen but it still shocked me a bit. Did they have to be so blatantly obvious about it?

"Don't worry about them, they'll soon find somebody else to talk about," Kyle whispered as he led me to my desk. He sat down beside me and took out his books. Randy was sitting behind me and I couldn't stop myself from turning to face him.

"Hi," I said, praying that he would reply but he didn't. He just stared at me as he tapped his pencil on his desk. I turned back in my seat and looked down at my hands. That's how I stayed for the rest of the period. As the day passed the news travelled and by the time the bell rang announcing break, the whole school knew. I could tell by the way everybody was looking at me.

Usually Kyle and I sat with Randy, Craig, Olivia and a bunch of our other friends but today was different. I didn't feel like walking into the cafeteria and being stared at all through brake and I wasn't sure if I'd be welcome anyway. I told Kyle that he could go sit with them but he looked at me like I was crazy and then led me out onto the sports field. I knew Kyle wouldn't abandon me to be with them but I had to give him the option.

"Do you really think I would choose them over you?" Kyle asked as we sat down in the shade of a tree at the edge of the field.

"No, but I had to make sure. I've known you to do some strange things in the past," I answered, smiling at him.

"My middle name is strange Sweet Thing, but you'll always be my first choice," he said, returning my smile and then patting his legs. I was sitting next to him but quickly changed my position so that I was lying down with my head on his lap.

"There's a rumor going around about why you dumped Randy," Kyle said as he played with my hair.

"I figured so but I've been trying not to listen. What is it?" I asked, staring up at him. He waited a few seconds before answering.

"They're saying that you dumped him for me," Kyle replied. His words shocked me but I guess they shouldn't have. People like jumping to conclusions but that's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Everybody knows that Kyle is gay. He doesn't act that way but he made it very clear two years ago.

A lot of rumors were going around about him and even though he had confirmed them over and over again people still didn't seem to believe them. I have to admit that even I was a bit shocked by what he did back then. He had a crush on this one guy that was a year older than us. He wasn't a jock but he was popular and always in the centre of a crowd. We had gotten to school that morning and the kids were still gossiping and staring at us. I guess he just had enough. He told me wait for him and then he walked straight up to the guy. He pushed through the crowd that surrounded him, came to a stop right in front of the guy and kissed him. I was stunned but couldn't stop myself from laughing.