(5) The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing

Chapter Five

I watched him for a second and then slipped into the water. It felt good against my warm body so I dived under until I had to come up for air. We swam and joked around for a while and then Kyle went home. I took a quick shower, not wanting to warm myself by taking a long bath, and then changed into my pajamas. It wasn't too late so I worked on my English essay for a while before crawling into bed.

I dreamt about Craig and when I woke up the next morning I was excited to see what the day held. I got dressed in a little black mini skirt with high heels and a tight fitting top. I wanted to look extra sexy today since I knew that Craig was interested in me. Kyle picked me up like usual and gave me a strange look as he took in my appearance.

"What?" I asked, wondering what he was thinking.

"Nothing," he replied as he pulled onto the road.

"That look wasn't nothing," I stated, waiting for him to explain.

"You look hot and I don't like it," he replied. God he was acting strange lately.

"Why would the fact that I look hot bother you?" I questioned, trying to make sense of it.

"It bothers me because all the guys at school know that you are single now and with you looking like that you're going to get yourself into trouble," he answered and I couldn't help but smile. He really does care about me, I couldn't ask for a better friend.

"You don't have to worry, I'm only interested in one guy and you know who it is," I said, trying to reassure him. He nodded his head but didn't look convinced.

When we got to school we headed straight to our group of friends, or shall I say my group of friends. I don't think Kyle really likes them much. Randy looked at me with sad eyes. Craig looked nervous and Olivia looked happy. There were a few other random kids standing in the group. The guys looked at me with lustful eyes and the girls looked at me like I am a complete idiot. Probably because I dumped Randy, who not only is a good guy but super hot as well.

"Hey! I'm so glad you decided to join us today," Olivia squealed as she gave me a hug. I felt guilty as hell and was seriously considering running away from the group but I knew I couldn't. I had to put up a brave act since I really wanted to be close to Craig. Even if I could only watch him for now.

The day dragged by and when lunchtime came around I felt overwhelmed by my emotions. I was feeling guilty, happy, nervous, confused and excited all rolled into one and frankly it was too much to handle.

Kyle stuck to my side like he always does and I could tell that he knew I was having a hard time.

"We don't have to sit with them," he offered as we made our way to the cafeteria.

"I know, but I want to," I replied, hoping that I wasn't going to regret my decision. Kyle didn't argue but looked worried. Everybody was already at the table, meaning there were only two seats open. Kyle always sat at the end so I took the seat next to Craig. Usually Randy would have sat so that I could sit next to him with Kyle at the end but he was obviously trying to keep his distance.

I didn't know what to expect when I sat down next to Craig but I didn't expect him to act like nothing happened. He chatted with the rest of the group, pretending like everything was normal. Maybe he just wanted to talk to me about what happened before he came clean I thought to myself. I mean, I couldn't just expect the guy to dump his girlfriend and start dating his best friend's ex, could I? But the truth of the matter is that it is exactly what I expected and wanted.

Kyle didn't say much through lunch but I could tell that he was watching me carefully. When the bell rang announcing that lunch was over I jumped up from my chair and started making my way out of the cafeteria. I'm sure that people could see that I was upset but I didn't care. They will all think it has something to do with Randy and my breakup. They'll never guess the truth and to be honest I couldn't blame them. Everybody thought I was this classy, cute girl but it turns out that I'm actually a horrible person who is willing to break her boyfriend and best friend's heart to get what she wants. I actually really hated myself at the moment but I couldn't change how I felt and who I was in love with.

I made it half way through the cafeteria when I felt somebody gripping my hand. I looked up and saw that it was Kyle. I was both happy and disappointed. Happy because I had the best friend in the whole world but disappointed that it wasn't Craig.

"Are you ok?" he asked worriedly.

'No, but I'll survive," I answered, squeezing his hand.

We made our way to our next class and luckily the rest of the day went by quickly. After school Kyle and I headed over to his house. Usually we would have watched football practice on a Tuesday afternoon but since I was in a horrible mood we decided against it.

Kyle doesn't live to far away from me but we don't usually hang out at his place much. He doesn't like being around his parents but they were both at work and he wanted to show me his latest art work. Kyle is a really great artist, his paintings and sketches are completely out of this world.

We headed inside his house and quickly grabbed some sodas before going upstairs to his bedroom. As soon as I walked into his room it felt like I was walking into another world. Every inch of the once white walls were decorated with sketches and paintings. I sat down on his bed that was covered with a black comforter and looked around his room to see if I could spot his new painting.

"Are you ready?" Kyle asked as he walked towards a big frame that was standing against the wall.

"Yip, bring it on," I joked excitedly. I loved it whenever he showed me one of his new pieces of art. He picked up the frame but kept it with its back to me so that I couldn't see. When he reached me he turned it around and watched as the expression on my face changed. I was expecting a dragon or some sort of strange beastly animal but instead it was a picture perfect painting of me. I was completely amazed.

"It's beautiful," I said as I looked at it in wonder.

"Do you really think so?" he questioned.

"Yes, I really think so. It's amazing," I replied, unable to tear my eyes away from the painting.