(10) The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing

Chapter Ten

"Lucy?" Craig asked, still sounding fast asleep.

"Yes," I replied, not really knowing what to say to him now that I actually had him on the phone.

"What do you want?" he asked, sounding confused.

"I... I just wanted to talk to you," I answered a bit surprised. He sounded annoyed.

"Yeah, well, now is not a good time," he whispered into the phone. I heard some roughling noises in the background and then Olivia's voice.

"Who is it baby?" she asked, making me want to vomit from self hate. How could I be doing this to her? She's been nothing but an amazing friend to me.

"Wrong number," Craig said, obviously answering her question and then hung up on me. I slammed my phone shut and pushed it back into my pocket.

A few minutes later Kyle arrived. He was laughing and shook his head at me as he climbed out of the car. I made no attempt to get up. I just sat there staring at him.

"It's not funny," I complained when he reached me.

"It is to me," he replied, holding his hand out towards me. I ignored it and folded my arms across my chest, making him laugh even harder.

"This really isn't the best place to be hanging around," Kyle said as he sat down next to me.

"I don't care," I replied stubbornly.

"What happened?" Kyle asked, looking amused.

"My life, that's what happened," I replied seriously. My life sucks.

"You know it's your own fault. If you would just stop liking all these assholes and find yourself a good guy your life would be much easier," Kyle said, smirking at me. I couldn't help but return his smile.

"Maybe you could organize a date for me with that cute guy you were kissing, you didn't like him after all," I replied, feeling much better now that I was with Kyle.

"I've actually got his number on my phone but I wasn't lying when I said he is a horrible kisser," Kyle laughed.

"Such a shame," I joked as I pushed myself to my feet and held my hand out to Kyle. He took it and got to his feet, leading me to his car.

"Do you want to get breakfast?" Kyle asked as he searched through his cd's.

"Yeah, I'm starving," I replied. Kyle nodded his head as he pressed one of his cd's into the car's stereo and turned it on full blast. I love Kyle's music so I didn't complain. We drove to this little diner in town while singing along to the music. For a while I actually forgot about Randy, Craig and Olivia. I knew it was because I was with Kyle. When I'm with him everything just feels right.

We were about done with our breakfast when my phone beeped, announcing that I had a message. I pulled it from my pocked and flipped it open.

It read: Sorry I couldn't talk earlier. Do you want to meet up somewhere?

"What is it?" Kyle asked, looking worried.

"It's Craig," I answered. The look on Kyle's face changed from worry to anger within a second. He and Craig have never been best friends but lately it looked like Kyle really hated him.

"What does he want?" Kyle asked, his voice cold.

"He wants to meet up with me so that we can talk," I replied, watching Kyle carefully. He was really acting strange lately.