(8) The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing

Chapter Eight

Craig led me in behind the garage and then pushed open a door that led into a small room. It was mostly empty except for a few stacked up boxes.

"God I've been dying to do this," he said as he pulled me into his arms and pressed his lips tightly against mine. My body reacted instantly as I wrapped my arms around his neck. The kiss was rough and gave me a sense of danger as adrenaline pumped through my body.

"I want you so badly," Craig whispered as he pushed me against the wall and started trailing kisses down my neck.

I could feel my body growing warmer with each kiss. The touch of his hands driving me crazy as they slowly moved down my body and across my waist. He gripped my ass and lifted me up with ease. I threw my legs around him and pulled his body closer to me, wanting to touch every part of him.

As I did this I felt a strange vibrating feeling and then a song started playing. The sound came from his jeans pocket and I watched as the expression on his face changed from one of desire to one of irritation.

"Ignore it," I whispered, not ready for our encounter to come to an end yet.

"I can't," he replied, placing me back on my feet. He pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and looked at the screen before answering it.

The conversation only lasted a few seconds and by the time he hung up I could tell that our little make out session was over.

"I have to go, Olivia is looking for me," he said, pulling his shirt back into place.

"I figured that much," I replied, trying to hide the hurt in my voice. I didn't want him to see how disappointed I was.

"Ok then, I'll see you later," he said before he disappeared out of the door.

I stayed in the little room for a few minutes before I felt confident enough to leave. I wanted to talk to Craig about Olivia and our relationship tonight but I didn't get the chance and I wasn't sure if I would even see him again.

I stepped out of the room and made my way back into the yard. Kids were still swimming and going crazy just like they did before I left with Craig. Nobody even seemed to have noticed that I disappeared. I looked over to where Kyle and I were sitting before but he wasn't there so I headed inside to find him.

I found him in the kitchen. He was talking to some cute guy so instead of making a burden of myself I slipped out of the kitchen unseen and headed over to the bar. I downed another shot and then took my drink and sat down on one of the couches in the living room.

I was just sitting there watching the kids dance when Randy sat down next to me. He had a drink in his hand and a glint in his eye that I knew very well. He was drunk.

"So how are you enjoying the party so far?" he asked, slurring his words.

"I'm not," I answered, feeling irritated.

"I can help you with that," he said, placing his hand on my leg.

"No thank you, I think I'll just go home," I replied, pushing his hand off of my leg and getting up.

He looked hurt by this but I couldn't care less. He was drunk and acting like an idiot. I needed to go to the bathroom so I stormed off in that direction but found it to be occupied. I knocked a few times but nobody answered so I tried the door. It was locked from the inside. I didn't feel like waiting any longer so I headed upstairs to use the other bathroom.

Luckily this one was open and I didn't have to wait. I stepped inside, making sure to lock the door behind me. I walked over to the basin and took a look in the mirror that hung above it.

"I hate you," I whispered to myself and then continued to do my business. When I was done I stepped out of the bathroom and started making my way back down the passage. There were a lot of rooms but I knew which one was Olivia's since I've visited her a few times. I was just about to pass it when I heard a strange moaning sound coming from within. I know I shouldn't have checked but I just couldn't help myself, I had to see.

I slowly turned the knob so that it wouldn't make any noise and pushed open the door just big enough for me to peek inside. What I saw tore my heart right out of my chest. It shocked me even though I should have expected it. Craig and Olivia were lying on her bed having sex. I pulled close the door as tears started stinging at my eyes. How could I have been so stupid? I really thought that he was going to leave her for me.

I quickly ran down the rest of the passage and then slowly made my way down the stairs. I didn't want to attract any unnecessary attention to myself. When I reached the bottom of the stairs I could feel the tears starting to escape my eyes and roll down my face. I tilted my head forward so that my hair fell across my face, hoping that nobody would notice.

I had to get away from the party as fast as I could but first I had to find Kyle. We drove here together and he had my car keys. I wouldn't leave without him anyway. I thought about where I had last seen him and made my way to the kitchen. As I stepped inside I saw him in a lip lock with the cute guy he was talking to earlier. I let out a pained moan and then turned on my heels and ran as fast as I could.

I ran through the living room, pushing kids out of my way. I was past the point of caring what they thought about me, I just wanted to get away from the house and the stupid party. There was no way I could get home without my car keys but I ran to my car anyway. I would just sit behind it where I could hide from the world and wait for Kyle.

I didn't mean to freak out when I saw Kyle kissing that guy. I've seen him kissing guys before and it didn't bother me. It's just that it reminded me of what I saw upstairs and I couldn't control my emotions anymore.

I sat down on the sidewalk behind my car and leaned back against it. Maybe that is the guy Kyle has a crush on I thought to myself as I tried to distract my mind from the visions that kept popping up in it.

"What's wrong Sweet Thing?" I heard Kyle ask from beside me. I opened my eyes and looked up at my best friend.

"E... everything," I stuttered through my tears.

Kyle sat down on the pavement next to me and pulled me onto his lap.

"Do you want me to take you home?" he asked, hugging me tightly.

"Please," I whispered.

Kyle held me for a few more minutes until I calmed down and then helped me to my feet. We got into my car and headed home without looking back.

"That was the worst party ever," I said as we drove.

"Tell me about it," Kyle replied, looking over at me. He had a smile on his face but it wasn't reaching his eyes.