(18) The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing

Chapter Eighteen

Once we were back in our room we packed up our stuff and loaded it into Kyle's car. We were done and ready to go when the rest of the group returned from the diner so we waited in the lobby for them. It seemed like it took forever before we were actually on the road again.

I know I was being rude and I am sure that everybody noticed my lack of interest in being with them but I just couldn't get myself to care, especially after what happened last night.

Kyle put on some of my favorite music and then we took off with the minivan following us. We stopped for gas at the next town and then drove for about five hours before we reached the beach. The sand was almost white and the water was a beautiful blue. The camp site was huge and although there were a bunch of other campers we didn't have to pitch our tents anywhere near them.

The guys started putting up the tents while Emma and I went to the office and paid for our two night stay. There wasn't too much to do but just being on the beach was enough according to me. There is nothing better than watching the waves break over the sand as the sun is setting in the distance.

When I returned to the camping sight I quickly helped Kyle finish pitching our tent and then looked around. Another two man tent was set up not too far away from ours and then a little more to the top of the beach they had set up a huge tent that was probably big enough for all of us to sleep in. I had no idea who was sleeping where and I honesty didn't care.

"Here you go," Kyle said from beside me. I turned around and saw that he was holding one of my bags out to me. I took it from him, shaking my head.

"What's wrong?" he asked, smirking.

"I didn't even notice you left," I replied.

"Yeah, you kind of spaced out for a while," Kyle laughed.

For the next hour or so everybody unpacked their stuff. I helped Kyle blow up our mattress and then covered it with our comforter and blankets while he went to go fetch some more of our stuff from the car. The sun was starting to set in the distance and I smiled at the sight, it really is beautiful.

"We're all done, are you guys ready to go get something to eat?" Olivia asked, walking over to me. She had a smile on her face and sounded like the person I used to be friends with. Maybe it is Sophia that is a bad influence on her I thought to myself.

"Yeah, sounds good," I replied, returning her smile. I still felt guilty for what I did with Craig behind her back but now that I knew that he was having an affair with Sophia I felt even worse. Olivia is actually a really nice person and she deserves better than him. I knew I should tell her but I had no idea how I was going to do it and I really wasn't sure if now was the best time anyway.

There was a little restaurant at the top of the camping sight that overlooked the beach. Next to it there was a cocktail bar with a little dance floor. It was quite pretty but I still didn't feel like going. The idea of hanging out with Olivia, Craig and Sophia now that I knew what was going on was really getting to me.

Olivia returned to the rest of the group and they started heading up to the restaurant. Kyle and I followed behind them, he held my hand as we walked, making me feel slightly better. The restaurant had both small and big tables so we could all sit together. I sat next to Kyle, with Olivia next to me on the other side and Randy sitting next to Kyle. It was a round table so he couldn't sit at the end like he always does. I could tell that he wasn't really happy about it but once again there wasn't much I could do about it.

The guys wanted to celebrate so we ordered two bottles of champagne to go with our food. Kyle and I shared our starters and then ordered our main meals. He had a steak with chips and I had pasta. The champagne tasted really good and helped with my mood as well so when it was finished and Olivia suggested that we all go to the cocktail bar I didn't object.