(6) The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing

Chapter Six

We spent the rest of the afternoon at Kyle's place but left before his parents came home. We finished our homework so when we got to my house we had nothing we had to do. My mom wasn't home and since I didn't feel like cooking we ordered pizza and watched movies.

Kyle stayed over for the night and drove me to school the next morning. He kept a few pairs of clothes at my house so it wasn't necessary for him to go home to change. We met up with our friends when we got to school but I felt really uneasy hanging out with them. Randy wasn't speaking to me. Craig acted like nothing had happened between us and Olivia treated me like I was her best friend. It was all very unsettling.

At lunch we sat at our usual table in the cafeteria but I couldn't help feeling out of place. I didn't feel like I belonged there anymore. I was about to ask Kyle if we could leave when Olivia turned towards me.

"Say you'll come?" she asked, looking at me with excited eyes. I wasn't listening to the conversation that was happening at the table so I had no idea what she was talking about.

"Come where?" I asked. Her eyes narrowed in a disapproving way as she frowned at me.

"To the party on Friday night. Craig and Randy are sure that they'll win the championships so were going to have a bit of a celebration at my house afterwards," she answered.

"Uhm... I don't know. I have things to do," I replied, trying to get out of it.

"Oh come on Luce, it'll be fun," Craig said from beside her, winking at me. My stomach flipped and I found myself agreeing excitedly.

Of course I regretted it afterwards but then it was too late. I hated myself for the rest of the day. I knew it was a bad idea but I just couldn't resist the idea of sneaking off at the party with Craig.

When the final bell rang announcing that the day was over I was so relieved that I literally ran to Kyle's car. He just shook his head and laughed at me. Later that afternoon while Kyle and I was busy doing homework my cell phone rang. I picked it up and looked at the caller ID. It was Randy. I considered ignoring it but he deserved better than that so instead I pressed the answer button.

"Hi," I said into the phone.

"Hi Lucy, I was wondering if I could maybe come over. There is something I need to tell you," he said nervously.

"Uhm... ok, I guess," I replied, not sure if it was such a good idea.

"Thanks, I'll be there in a few," he said and then hung up. I closed my phone and placed it on my bedside table

"Who was that?" Kyle asked curiously.

"Randy, he wants to come over. He said he has something that he wants to tell me," I answered.

"In that case I should probably head home," Kyle stated as he got up from my bed.

"No, please stay. I promise it won't take long and I really don't want to be alone afterwards," I begged.

"That's really unfair Sweet Thing," he said disapprovingly.

"What is?" I asked, confused.

"You begging me like that, you know I can't say no if you do that," he answered, smiling again.

"Does that mean you'll stay?" I asked, wanting to make sure.

"Yes, of course I will stay," he replied as he sat back down on my bed.

I didn't feel like doing any more homework so I put away my books and watched as Kyle sketched some sort of monstrosity. About twenty minutes had passed when I heard Randy's car pull up into the driveway.

"I really don't want to do this," I complained, getting up from my bed.

"Then don't, I'll be happy to chase him away," Kyle said, sounding serious.

"No, I should hear him out, I owe him that," I replied before heading downstairs. The doorbell rang when I got to the living room so I didn't have any time to try and pull myself together. I walked over to the door and opened it.

Randy greeted me with a smile, making me feel even guiltier for dumping him.

"Come in," I said, stepping aside so that he could enter.

"Thanks," he replied, stepping inside. I wasn't sure what he wanted to talk to me about but at least he wasn't ignoring me which was a good sign.

I sat down on the couch and Randy sat down next to me. He looked nervous and sad as he looked at me.

"Ok, so what do you want to tell me?" I asked, trying to make it easier for him.

"You know I love you and I have this feeling that that's not going to change anytime soon but I thought about what you said about us being friends," he stated, smiling at me.

"And?" I questioned, encouraging him to go on.

"And I would rather be your friend than lose you completely. I can't picture my life without you in it," he replied. His words made me feel both happy and sad at the same time. Sad that I am putting him through hell but happy because I really did want to be his friend.

"I'd like that," I agreed, wondering if it was really possible for us to be friends after dating for so long. I wasn't sure but I really wanted it to work.

"Ok, so friends it is," Randy said as he got up from the couch.

"Yip, friends," I stated as I followed him to the door.

"I'll see you tomorrow then," he said turning to me.

"Yes you will," I replied, not really sure what I was supposed to say.

He just stood there looking at me for a few seconds and then took me by surprise when he stepped forward and hugged me. I was shocked but hugged him back. I didn't want to ruin our friendship before it even began. I just hoped that he didn't make too much of it. I really didn't want to give him any hope of us getting back together.

As soon as Randy was gone I headed back to my room

"What did he want?" Kyle asked as I walked through the door. He looked a bit irritated which was strange since he has been in a good mood the whole day so far. I shook my head and sat down next to him. Maybe it was just me being paranoid.

"He wants to be friends," I answered, watching Kyle carefully. I wanted to see his reaction to this but he didn't have one. His expression stayed the same, not giving anything away.

"Did you agree?" he questioned curiously.

"Yes, of course I agreed. You know that's what I wanted. I'm just not sure if it is really possible," I replied. He nodded his head and then continued with his sketch.

Later that night when Kyle went home I took a long hot bath and then crawled into bed. My head was spinning with unanswered questions. Could Randy and I really be friends? What is going to happen between Craig and me? And why is Kyle acting so strange lately? My life was a complete mess and I had no idea what was going to happen.