46

It was true that a select few vampires that roamed the Earth held special gifts. They were able to use these to their advantage in battle or against the human race as they blended into their current society. This was how they were able to go about their business, undetected.

Willow sits in an empty bedroom that once belonged to one of his daughters years before, as she is drifted off into he thoughts regarding the interaction with a spirit. She knew due to the culture of the natives they held strong beliefs that the spirits were always running alongside them, protecting their lands until the end of time.

Was Willow's gift, seeing the spirits?

She shook her head, disagreeing with her thoughts. She hadn't spoken to anyone about the encounter on the cliffs, nor had she ventured back there. 

Although she had dared to look through old photographs to see if she could match the face of the spirit to the person that once lived on the lands. Thankfully Billy Black had kept a vast collection and it took two photo albums before she matched the face to a young man named Paul Lahtote, the name she had heard repeated by Embry.

Paul had been killed her mother, due to the former treaty the Cullen family had with the wolves she thought she was at peace with them. She was wrong when she ventured onto the lands and came across Paul that fateful day he lost his life just doing his duty to protect his people. He was just another victim of the curse of Bella Cullen.

Although she must've set his spirit free due to the death of Bella herself. Or perhaps he was chosen to be Willow's personal spirit guide, that idea saddened the young girl. She had hoped it would be her father, but perhaps after you turn into a vampire, your soul is lost.

"You look troubled, young one." The voice of Billy Black pulls Willow from her deep thoughts.

She gives a brief smile. "Just thinking about things." She mumbles quietly.

"Are you afraid someone will be looking for you?" Billy asks, wheeling himself into the small room.

Willow lets out a deep breath. "It's not completely impossible, my mother's family would want to avenge her death when they figure out my location. Perhaps they can finally do me a favor and cease my existence like I should've been done twenty years ago." She explains crossing her arms against her chest.

"You have much to learn young one, I don't doubt the Cullen family would be saddened about her, anger is temporary but they will heal eventually," Billy explains. "You will always be protected by many here."

"What if they go on a rampage and murder more wolves, just like Bella did with Paul?" Willow asks, fear laced in her words.

Billy thinks for a moment. "You've become curious about the warrior lately, you even asked to see his face. Why is that?" He asks the young girl. "Have the spirits spoken to you?"

Willow looks up confused, wasn't this man meant to question her sanity rather than ask if she had spoken to any deceased beings that just roam around the lands of La Push? "I think I did have a conversation with Paul, but I don't understand what it means."

"You are connected to these lands due to the werewolf gene that runs through your veins," Billy explains to the girl. "The past warriors sometimes choose to speak to individuals on how they can deal with the present, they are always watching us so they would like to guide us on the correct path."

That explanation did seem to make sense in her head. Paul did try and give the girl some advice to go out and live her life. Enjoy new adventures and take Embry along for the ride. Perhaps he sensed danger and wanted to protect his former friend. "I need to go talk to Embry," Willow says rushing to her feet.

"The rest of the council disagree with that decision." The old man says, stopping the girl dead in her tracks. "They say he will lose focus on the goal to protect the people, rather than a freak of nature created to please the cold ones."

Billy didn't agree with the rest of the council, but he didn't have much more of a voice as Sam was the current leader and every decision had to be approved by him. There was still a danger that lurked beyond the border. 

Willow didn't like breaking the rules laid out that would threaten her stay on these lands, but she was sick of people interfering with her business. She felt like she was getting close to Embry and yet people were forcing them apart and they spent minimal time together. "You wanted to see me?" The voice of Embry fills the hallway.

Willow looks over with a smile, Embry giving her a kind smile in return. She could tell he had just gotten back from patrol as he appeared tired.

Billy had excused himself to let the pair discuss their business in private. Willow explains her encounter with Paul. There is a hint of sadness on his face as she explained his words. It seemed to bring him closer to his guilt and he was able to accept that Paul would now be at peace, which made his smile return.