17

Aging was a side effect of being human. In years that followed the transformation of Fred becoming a hybrid vampire, he had learned to deal with the side effect of the lust for human blood every full moon. That didn't stop him hanging around the Swan residence in the company of the humans. 

If Leah Clearwater could accept him for his strange status, he could accept the family she surrounded herself with. So while Leah cuddles up to her lover in the living room, ten-year-old Willow bursts through the door and throws her bag on to the floor. She has a sly grin on her face. "Gross!" She calls breaking up the couple.

Leah raises her eyebrow. "Do I get to say the same when you get a boyfriend?" She retorts to the bubbly girl who stood there in her school uniform, Charlie Swan following close behind. He drops a letter on to the floor.

"What is it?" Leah asks concerned, grasping on to Fred's hand. 

While charlie stands there, a shocked expression on his face a curious Willow picks up the letter from the ground. She reads the words displayed in the paper. Her eyebrows knit together in confusion. "My mum's dead." She says crumbling a corner of the letter in her hand.

Leah grabs the piece of paper, reading the contents for herself.

Dear Swan residence,
It is my deepest sadness to inform you that Bella Cullen (former Swan) and her husband Edward Cullen have perished in a car accident just two days prior. Their daughter Renesmee Cullen is assumed missing and an investigation is underway. 
Northern Alaska Police Department.

Leah screws the paper up, she knew that this was coming she just didn't anticipate that it would be this soon. "Leah why don't you take Willa to Emily's for dinner, I need to make a few calls." Charlie gasps, putting a brave face on.

Leah agrees as Willow looks expressionless at the people around her. Once she is placed in the back of Fred's car she looks out the window to the blur of trees. "She promised she was always going to be there." Willow refers to the letter she had read many times over, her mother's apology letter she wrote on the eve of her wedding night to her husband Edward.

Leah turns back to the young girl, concern in her eyes. "Hey, it will be alright." She tries to assure the girl. "You can't miss someone that was there in the first place." She reminds the girl who just nods her head.

"Do you think they will find my half-sister?" Willow asks.

"I'm sure they will try their best," Fred says giving her a smile from his rearview mirror, his blue eyes showing calm in them.

"Maybe Sam can send the wolves to look for her," Willow suggest once they cross the border into La Push. Willow was informed of the secret when she was six years old after she saw Seth transform into the large wolves that protect the lands she lived on. 

"I'm sure you could ask," Leah says sighing silently, as Fred grabs her hand to calm her down. After almost eight years of no word from Bella and the Cullen's they had to bring bad news. Leah was sure Charlie was going to attempt to venture to Alaska to find out what was going on.

Once they arrive at Emily's house Willow jumps out of the car to see that the wolves were in the middle of an important meeting. Her brown eyes meet the alpha. "We need to go to Alaska, my sister and Jacob are in trouble." She explains, seeing that there was a similar letter in Sam's hands.

"We'll handle it." He assures the girl as Leah grabs her shoulders pulling her back.

"Let's go to the beach." She suggests to the young girl, who just nods following Leah out the door, Fred chooses to stay behind to listen in on the meeting.

Sam lets out a large sigh. "So according to authorities Jacob and the leech are missing." He catches the hybrid up to speed on what they know. "Bella and Edward died in a car accident."

"Faking deaths isn't new for the Cullen's you've mentioned before," Fred says, Sam just nods his head at the pale boy.

"So we go up there and drag Jacob's ass back home," Paul suggests bitterly. "With the leech police hanging around, they must've done something wrong." 

"As much as I'd want to reunite Billy with his son, it's not that simple. They've probably gone on the run, they might not even be in the country." Sam explains.

"Why don't we ask the vampires?" Seth asks.

"We don't know why they're here, last time they were here it was for a fight." Jared pipes up from the corner of the room. "They already made a mess of the Cullen's former home." He refers to the wolves finding the former home burned to the ground with vampire's cheering in the distance.

"What if they're here for Willow?" Paul asks. "They could think she's the leech."

"She might look similar to Bella, but Renesmee would be in the body of an adult now." Sam blows off that thought. "Besides they haven't been near the Swan house."

"Maybe they're looking for Fred," Embry says. "They must've picked up his scent, it's unnatural for a hybrid to exist."

"Plausible," Sam says deep in thought. "First I think we should send a couple of wolves north to pick up anything from the Cullen's, find out what has happened before Charlie travels up there."