16

The story of the people surrounding our main heroine intertwines with her own. They are the people the teach her right from wrong and to have compassion for everyone she meets. They protect her from the dangers of the supernatural world and they give reasons to the burning questions she had about her parents.

With each day that passes something changes in Forks. Charlie had become recently engaged to the new love in his life. Seth completes his high school education while running alongside the wolf pack. That left Leah Clearwater to have the freedom to have her relationship with Fred when she wasn't babysitting Willow. 

With passion under the dim light of the moon, something awful happens that leads to Fred falling unconscious. Leaving Leah to rush him to help. The Quileute people were proud of their relationship with the warriors that protected their lands, but they had a secret.

When Fred is brought to the doorstep of Billy Black's home he finds the young werewolf in tears as she crowds her soulmate. The wolf pack watches on as Billy invites the vampire into his home, the wolves placing Fred on a couch. "I must inform you of a story," Billy announces. 

While Leah places her hand in Fred's cold one she looks at the elder that led her people. "We have always protected our lands from the cold ones, even having a treaty with one coven to stay out of our lands." He refers to the Cullen family that had taken his own son. "There was an exception once; long ago a female comes into contact with one of our people. They feel a strong connection as the individual worked hard to hide her from the sight of his people."

Sam has a glare on his face as he looks at the vampire, who he had an alliance with to keep tabs on the Swan family. "Their relationship deepened and a change occurred, her eyes went from red to her natural green. It had seemed that our people had cured her of her immortality." 

Leah's eyes meet Billy's with a nod. "Our people kept an eye on the former cold one as she went about her business, reverting back to her human ways." He takes a dramatic pause. "However she was still cursed and every full moon she would hunger human blood, sometimes uncontrolled but with time she was able to overcome the thirst."

"So we're dealing with some freak?" Paul asks bitterly.

"You're dealing with another member of our tribe, someone you must protect as they will do the same for you," Billy explains.

Sam looks confused at the tale that his chief had just spoken about. "This doesn't make sense." He utters.

"This boy will change, half-vampire and half wolf." He says. "He will not shift but will carry the abilities of a vampire in the disguise of a human."

"How do we keep him in line?" Paul asks.

"With time and research, but I urge you not to get him off the reservation every full moon. His link to our people will protect us, but not the others." His eyes meet Leah's again with seriousness lingering in them. 

At that warning, Leah makes made a plan to protect her new family. Especially that little girl who had already been mixed up in the vampire world. 

While Fred is left in a spare room of Billy's house he feels a hunger rise from his throat. The burning he felt when he thirsted human blood disappears while his body feels heat pulsing through the veins that had been left to freeze.

Eventually, Leah ends back at the Swan house and is met by a tired Charlie working on another case. "You're late home." He says casually. 

Leah has a small smile on her face as she places her jacket on the back of the chair. "No Fred tonight?" He asks.

"He was feeling a bit under the weather tonight, he just wanted to rest." She says falling back into the chair. "He promised to visit another night, didn't want to get Willow sick."

"Yeah that reminds me, Willow has a soccer game this weekend." He says.