March 26, 2022

Chicago - Firehouse 51 Locker Room:
Matt's POV:
As I walked into the locker room at firehouse 51 for the first time as the newly reinstated Captain on Truck 81, I smiled when I saw Gabby standing at her locker. She decided to stay as paramedic after learning that she was given the wrong medicine last time around. So, all of the shit we've been through in the past 2 weeks...it can all be traced back to her medicine. I am just glad we are both okay again. Walking up behind her, I went to put my hands on her waist and held her from behind. "I am glad we got to the bottom of what was happening last week."

Gabby turned to look at me when she heard me and smiled. "I am still not sure whether I am going to like watching you run into burning buildings but...I guess I am going to have to deal with it considering you gave up your dream job for me." I laughed and smiled when she said that before going to grab her hips and kiss her softly. "I love you, you know that right? You and the kids are my world and I will give up my dream job anyday. Because my real dream job is to be your husband and the kids' dad. Just know, I am already his successor. So this is only for a bit."

Gabby nodded when I said that. "Matt, I know because we talked about this. I am just glad Hermann let you keep that spot with the Tesla charger. That's supposed to be the Chief's spot." I nodded and agreed. "I am glad the CFD didn't make me return the car. I like our Tesla." Gabby smiled when I said that. "See, this is what I need. I don't need you being chief right now. Right now, what I need is my husband to be a fire captain." That's when I heard Hermann walk into the locker room. "Yeah, yeah. Speaking of Captain...I need your reports from last week."

I then turned to look at him. "Chief Hermann." He then laughed when I said that and smiled as I went to hug him. "Thank you so much for doing this. We just aren't ready to be the heads of Firehouse 51 yet. This is good enough though." Hermann nodded and agreed with me. "Thanks for telling them to put me in as Chief." I then laughed. "They didn't have a choice. I told them I wanted my spot a Truck 81's captain back instead of being chief. So, they needed to get rid of the old Captain so that I could take over. Speaking of which, do they know I am captain yet?"

Hermann then shook his head. "Nope, they think you are back as a paramedic. Glad to hear that your lungs have fully healed and that you are able to fight fires again." I smiled when he said that. "Same here. Just promise you will keep her back. Now, if you don't mind me...I am going to go talk to my candidate." Hermann then looked at me. "You keep him safe." I nodded and agreed. "Oh, I will Hermann. By the way, thanks for letting me bring the kids in at supper." He agreed and smiled. "We like seeing the little ones. Listen, you go talk to Lee Henry."

I agreed and nodded before going to give Gabby one last kiss. "You got this babe." She nodded and smiled before turning to look at Hermann.

Gabby's POV:
As I turned to look at Hermann, I smiled at him. "Thanks again for doing this for us Chief. I kniow it's short notice but...I just wasn't ready. My hormones are everywhere and I just need to get back into the swing of things. And I need Matt by my side." Hermann nodded and agreed with me. I then went to get close to him and gave him a hug. "You are going to do great as Chief. You already did great with your first meeting as chief." He smiled when I said that. "And you are going to be great on Ambo again. Just remember, I am here for you. Matt filled me in on everything."

I smiled when he said that and nodded. "And I am still not helping with Molly's. Sorry but, I have too much on my plate. Now listen, I am going to go start my PIC duties and just relax before our first call." Hermann nodded and agreed. "And just to let you know, our meetings have moved to the afternoon. I hated the morning meetings." I laughed and agreed. "Honestly, I did too. I need coffee in me before I get anywhere near a meeting. But listen, you need to work on your e-mails and forms. I already put in for my furlough. Matt approved it when he was still Chief."

Hermann agreed. "Whatever he approved, I have to re-approve. I promise Gabby, you are getting those weeks off. Now, go relax while I get to work." I nodded and agreed with him, walking out of the locker room to head out to talk to our friends.