March 27, 2022

The Next Morning - Shift Change
Matt's POV: As I walked into the common room after getting changed, I smiled as I carried the diaper bag, my laptop bag as well as me and Gabby's bags. She was currently in the midst of taking a shower so, I was in charge of taking care of Gabriel. That was easy though considering he was asleep in his stroller. He was probably the easiest of all of our kids when it came to sleeping. That's when I saw Cordova walk in. "Hey Captain." I smiled when he said that before putting my finger up to my lips. "You wake him up, I am not going to be so friendly when we finally meet your kid."

He nodded and agreed with me. "By the way, you notice my name on a locker?" I nodded. "Yeah, what's up with that?" Cordova then laughed. "I finally have a permanent spot here. I've been floating for a while. Don't worry, I am not on your shift. I am on second shift. So, I am eating right now." I smirked when he said that. "Well unfortunately for you, that means you have to cook breakfast for yourself. The candidate works under me during first shift." That's when I heard Lee Henry come out of the showers with his bag. "Speaking of candidate, you did great last night man."

Lee Henry then looked at me. "Okay, is it Matt now?" I nodded. "Yeah." He then groaned. "Enough with the peppy stuff. I get you have 3 kids but...I am not used to it. How in the world did you sleep so good when the Ambo lights went off a couple times?" I laughed when he said that. "Lee Henry, I am not in the bunk room. I have an officer's quarters, so I was sleeping there. And second, I was on the calls with you. Believe me, I know exactly how bad it was. I am just glad Gabby wasn't working on the calls last night. Not sure what she's going to do though."

That's when I heard Sylvie walk over to me and grab breakfast. "What you talking about what she's going to do. By the way, don't forget that you are my ride home." I nodded and agreed. "Oh, I remember. Antonio texted me this morning to make sure I remembered. And he has been every shift since we came back from Puerto Rico. By the way, you're welcome. You haven't said thanks yet." Sylvie then looked at me confused. "What are you talking about?" I then laughed. "I am the one who fast-tracked your re-hiring at the CFD. Why you think you got hired so fast?"

That's when Gabby came out of the showers looking for Gabriel. "Babe, I got him and he's fine. Just get dressed before someone walks in on you in my room. 2nd shifters are arriving." Gabby nodded and agreed as she walked back to her locker to get dressed. I then looked at Cordova and then laughed. "God, that was such a tease." Severide nodded and agreed with me from the table. "Stella, why don't you ever do that when we are here?" Stella then turned to look at him. "Uhm because I don't work here you fool. I work at OFI." I then turned to look at Severide.

"Just a warning man, don't talk to her. You've reached the point of the pregnancy where the morning hormones are horrible. And they are made even worse because she's extra tired from your second child that you have to take care of." Grabbing me and Gabby some food, I then went to walk over to put Gabriel next to their son Stephen. "Here buddy, meet your friend Stephen. Me and his daddy are his best friends. So, you, him and Matteo are going to be great friends." Severide then looked at me. "God, I love this soft Matt."

I laughed when he siad that. "You think this is soft? You should see me around my daughter. I swear, I am such a pushover when it comes to her. But, what do you expect? I am a pushover when it comes to my wife too." Sylvie then looked at me while she grabbed some food and came to join us. "You do realize she's here?" I then laughed. "Oh, she knows that I am a pushover when it comes to her. Remember boys, it's the wife who controls the sex in the marriage." Everybody then nodded when I said that and laughed. I then went to look at Gabriel.

That's when Gabby came out dressed. Walking over to me with her bag, she smiled. "Thanks for getting me breakfast." I then went to grab my bag and got her meds out. "Here, take them." Gabby then nodded as she went to grab them and smiled. "Thanks, I was going to take them at home but...I need to take them with food." I nodded as I went to grab her hand and smiled. "Just relax and take a breather okay? We are going home after we eat." Gabby nodded and agreed. "I called your mom and asked her to stay the morning. I need more sleep if that's okay?"

I nodded and agreed. "I might join you. But we are leaving early so, we are going to be able to just sneak in if this guy doesn't cry." We both nodded when I said that and smiled. "Speaking of which, as soon as one of us are done...we should go get the car ready." That's when I heard Hermann come out. "So, you staying here all the time or are you doing shift work like me?" Hermann then laughed. "Oh, I am doing shift work. I basically have the same contract that you had, just no Tesla yet." That's when I remembered something. "Sylvie, need to ask you something."

Sylvie then nodded as she looked at me. "What's up Matt?" I then smiled. "We getting together in 2 weeks? We aren't working that day." Gabby then turned to look at me. "Actually babe, we are working that day. The appointment is 2 weeks tomorrow. Dr. Charles called me this morning. We scheduled it for a Sunday by accident. He doesn't work Sunday. So, we'll put it in. Same time but on the 11th. So, that's a monday." I nodded and agreed with her. "Lucky for you, I am not doing anything that day." Gabby then looked at me.

"Oh c'mon babe, take a joke. Of course I would cancel whatever I have to go to the kids' appointment. Actually, I am going to call my sister to ask her to help us that day." Gabby was confused when I said that. I then went to remind her why. "Someone has to watch the babies while we are doing Matteo's appointment at 10:30." Gabby then nodded when I said that. "Right." That's when Severide looked at me. "What's the appointment for? Matteo okay?"