xv

“Idhan unga oorla candlelight dinner ah?

(Is this what you call a candlelight dinner?)

Ever since Vishnu said Sivaangi was the intended target, both her brother and Ashwin didn't leave her out of sight. So much so that even dinners happened in Ashwin's room. Ashwin brought her there with promises of a candlelight dinner but nothing of the sort of was seen in sight.

Ashwin gave her a sheepish smile, “Candle la illaye. Venumna flashlight ah nadula ah vekava.”

(Dont have a candle. Do you want a flashlight, to make things better?)

Sivaangi stared at him disapprovingly, “Comedy ah?”

(Being funny, is it?)

Ashwin faltered, “Sorry ma. Nejamave illa.”

(Sorry ma, I really dont have one.)

Sivaangi shook her head and took a bit of her dinner. Ashwin took a seat opposite her and she asked,

“Can I ask you something?”

He nodded and she said, “Anniku when I asked why you didnt see anyone else, you said you didn't because you were busy. Athu than unmaya?”

(That day, when I asked why you didnt see anyone else, you said you didn't because you were busy. Was that the truth?)

Ashwin looked at her intently before saying, “Why do you ask questions you already know the answer to?”

Sivaangis stomach did a flip, and she said, “Neenga ethume solla matinga na ethum kekavum koodathu. Am I a mind reader?”

(You wont say anything nor should I ask anything. Am I a mind reader?)

Ashwin fell silent, she was right, of course, she was. “Nee iruntha edatha vera yaarum nerappa mudiyathu.”

(No one can fill in your shoes.)

Sivaangi hated how he could make her feel on cloud nine with just one sentence.

“Naa ungaluku ponnu pakava?”

(Shall I look for a girl for you?)

“Eh??,” he exclaimed, bewildered. He could spend his entire life with her and he would never fully understand what went on in that brain of yours.

Sivaangi perked up in excitement and said, “Ungaluku entha mathiri ponnu pudikum sollunga, naa pathukaren.”

(Tell me what you like in a girl, Ill take care of the rest.)

Ashwin was baffled, was she really offering to set him up with someone else. He scoffed and said, “Athellam vendam.”

(Theres no need for that.)

Sivaangi sighed and said, “Please Ashwineyy, just chumma.” She knew he couldn't say no when she asked like that.

(Please Ashwineyy, just for fun.)

“Enna solanum?”

(What do you want me to say?"

“What do you like in a girl?”

He raised an eyebrow, “You really want to know my type?” and she nodded fervently. He eyed her warily for a moment before giving and saying,

“I like short girls. Aparam, excessively cute. Should have long black hair. Unknowingly funny. Innocent. Should know how to sing.”

Sivaangis heart dropped to her stomach in excitement when she heard that.

“Avaluku non veg na pudika koodathu. Periyanvangala mariyatha illama pesina pudika koodathu. Mushroom pasta na uyiru. Avaluku kovam vantha kooda cute ah irukanum. Music than usuru. Samaika theriya koodathu. Kozantha. Funny. Possessive. Athiga prasangithanam. Blueberry pie pudikanum. Mukiyama Switzerland enga irukunu theriya kodathu. En pera unique ah solanum. Oh and, my biggest supporter.”