xvii

It was past midnight and they were still on the rooftop. Sivaangi was fast asleep, her head resting on his shoulder and Ashwin would've dozed off but he deliberately stayed awake. Ever since the morning, he had a weird feeling. He thought he was just being paranoid, but he felt like someone was watching them constantly.

The sound of crickets filled the night sky, and it was so quiet. Ashwin knew they couldn't sleep here the entire night. He slowly tried to wake up Sivaangi. She stirred in her sleep and cracked any eye open and gave him a small smile. He looked at her for a few moments, wondering how he was so lucky to have her with him.

She stretched lightly, sighing sleepily. It was a wonder. The past five years, she hadn't been able to have a proper sleep, even if she was in the comfiest bed of them all. But lying on his shoulder, she felt the most relaxed she had ever been.

Her stomach growled loudly and Ashwin laughed. Sivaangi pouted, "Pasikuthu."

(I'm hungry.)

"Adhan un vayaru signal koduthirche."

(I heard so from your stomach.)

Sivaangi rolled her eyes and stood up, "Mushroom pasta venum."

(I want Mushroom pasta.)

Ashwin raised an eyebrow, "2:30 mani aaguthu, enga mushroom pasta kedaikum."

(It's 2:30 in the morning, where would you get that?)

Sivaangi shrugged, "Therila, aana ennaku venum."

(I don't know, but I want it.)

Ashwin shook his head in disbelief, "Seri vaa."

(Okay let's go.)

Sivaangi blinked at him, "Enga?"

(Where?)

"Athan ivalo periya resort iruke, inga oru kitchen irukatha?"

(We're in such a huge resort, there will be a kitchen here right?)

A grin spread across her face, "Neenga samaika poringala?" Her heart fluttered with nostalgia, it had been forever since they cooked together. And by together it meant, he would cook and she would watch. Ashwin took her hand and led her out of the rooftop.

(Are you gonna cook for me?)

They entered a kitchen, bigger than any she had seen. "Inga Namma varalama?"

(Can we be here?)

Ashwin shrugged, "Therila, enna pandiaporanga?"

(Don't know, what will they do anyways?)

She chuckled, "Romba thayirayasali aaiteenga."

(You've become very brave.)

Ashwin smirked, "Ungala love panitu thayiryam illama iruka mudiyuma?"

(How could I not be when I'm in love with you?)

Sivaangi could hear that he loves her a million times and she wouldn't be satisfied. She narrowed her eyes at him, "What do you mean?"

"Illa ma, general love pananumnu na thayiryam venuma la. Naa unna solala, general ah sonen," he said with a faint smile.

(No I meant, generally you need courage to fall in love. I meant generally, not you.)

Sivaangi huffed, "Seri, arambinga. Romba pasikuthu."

(Right. Start cooking. I'm very hungry.)