xxiii

present day.

By the time the police left and after a flurry of reassurances from Vishnu that Sivaangi would be alright, they were finally left alone in Ashwin's room. Out of the corner of his eye he could still see the window tainted with those words. He sighed and rubbed his face tiredly. Sivaangi sat next to him, and held his hand leaning her head on his shoulder. Instinctively, he wrapped an arm around her.

"Are you scared?" Sivaangi asked. Ashwin let out a deep breath,

"Scared illa. Konjam tension ah iruku. Enga ponalum itha pathi than pechu."

(Not scared. Just tensed. Everywhere I go, this is what everyone's talking about.)

Sivaangi looked up, "Okay appo inaiku night full ah namma pesa vendam."

(Okay, so let's not talk tonight.)

Ashwin looked down at her with a smile, "Vera enna pananum?"

(What else should we do?)

Sivaangi looked around, "First, intha room vittu vanga. Yen room ku vanga."

(Let's get out of here first. Let's go to my room.)

Ashwin raised an eyebrow, his mind immediately flying somewhere else. "Un room ka?"

(To your room?)

Sivaangi stared at him innocently, "Ama en- Aiyooo," she whined with a blush on her face once she realised what he was thinking, "Intha rangathlathalyum oru kuthukagalam."

(You still find fun in such situations.)

Ashwin laughed, "Seri vaa, polam."

(Okay, let's go.)

They went out of his room, and he immediately felt like he could breathe easier. As they went down the hallway, they spotted Rohini akka with Pugazh.

"En di intha nerathula naa kozhukatiku enga poven?" Pugazh said to her. Rohini glared,

(Where will I go for kozhukatai at this time?)

"Athellam ennaku theriyathu. Kozhukata venum."

(I don't know, I want kozhukatai.)

Sivaangi snorted at them and skipped over there. Pugazh anna said,

"Vaa, unga anni enna kekaranu paaru."

(Look at what your Anni is asking.)

Rohini turned to her, "Pregnant ah irukumbothu cravings varum la? Athula enna thappu?"

(We have pregnancy cravings right? What's wrong with them?)

"Athana!" Sivaangi said and Pugazh looked at her betrayed. "Athu unga kadamai."

(Yeah! That's your responsibility.)

Pugazh looked at her for a moment before bursting out into laughter. Everyone looked at him confused as to why he was laughing. Ashwin groaned and said,

"Dei ethuku sirikara nu solitu siri da."

(Tell us what's so funny.)

Pugazh walked towards him and said, "Mapillai, en pondati aavuthi kozhukata venum biriyani venum solluva. Aana en thangachi blueberry pie venum, macaroon venum ba. Atha nenachan un nilamai ah paathu sirichen!".