Familial Affection

Hope you enjoy fluff because I am here to deliver.
........................

Wilbur is easily emotionally swayed. Always has been. Whether it was anger, fear, or affection. He was easily swayed.

That last emotion was painfully relevant that day.

Wilbur was sitting on the couch, reading a book Techno had recommended. Wilbur wasn't sure he liked it however. He was hoping the love story contained in the book would have a happy ending. But he should've known better since Techno suggested it. If course it would end in painful, bloody, perm-death.

Why did stories always have perm-death?

"I'm going out Wilbur." Phil said. Walking towards the door.

"Oh good, I'm glad all the mysterious disappearing never changes. That's a relief." Wilbur spat bitterly.

Phil hadn't gotten to the door yet, but he stopped when he heard Wilbur's tone.

"Wilbur?" He turned to Will.

"What." Wilbur looked up from his book to glare at Phil.

"Do you wanna come?"

"What?" Wilbur's expression changed to one of confusion.

"I think she'd like to meet you." Phil smiled.

"Your new girlfriend?" His father nodded, a soft cooing present if you listened for it.

Well? Why not? If Phil liked her she probably wasn't going to be mean.

"Okay."

...

Screw Phil's girlfriend.

Screw her and her sweet smile and loving eyes. And screw Wilbur's instant affection that he couldn't quite place.

Not in a romantic way, but in another way that made Wilbur not want to trust his own emotions anymore.

He went over the interaction in his head, while quickly falling asleep.

Wilbur would be lying if he said he wasn't scared of what she'd be like. There was no way Phil didn't like nice girls right? They landed in the park and Phil set Wilbur down on his feet. Before leading him to the bench that she sat at.

"You brought a friend!" She said when they approached.

"Kristin, this is my son Wilbur." Phil guestured to him.

She stood up and came closer. She was scary. What would she think of him? He was still wearing his trenchcoat, and his hair was messy, well messier than usual. It'd been a while since he's felt so nervous talking to other people. Though, it was nice to know that he was taller then she was.

"Hi Wilbur! I'm Kristin." She smiled sweetly. "I've heard a lot about you."

"You have?" Uncertainty present in his voice. "What have you heard?"

"Well, that you like music, and that you're very energetic. And maybe a bit chaotic." She answered honestly. And he appreciated that.

"Other than Phil's infatuation with you I haven't heard much about you." Wilbur responded. He could tell Phil was miffed by that because his feathers puffed up slightly. Kristin laughed.

"What have you been up to?" She asked as if she'd known him for a long time. She gave him her undivided attention. He couldn't help but feel elated at that.

The word attention has been ruined.

"Uhm, songs. Writing songs me and my friends can play." Wilbur mumbled this into his trenchcoat collar. Did he have to wear such edgy clothes?

"You can write your own songs? That's awesome!" She gave him a million dollar smile.

"What about school? Has that been treating you well?" She asked; not in the way that adults always ask because they think that's the only thing going on in your life, but she asked like she was worried it wasn't. That was nice. She was nice.

Wilbur shrugged. "So far, it's the same as junior high, except less cringy little kids. And everyone is taller." Kristin nodded.

"Well that's good to hear. My first year of high school was nerve-wracking." She admitted.

"Same." Phil spoke up. Wil had nearly forgotten he was there. He wanted to give his all his attention to Kristin. She felt familiar. Somehow.

Phil continued, "My brother managed to ruin my reputation on the first day so it was all just a waiting game to get out."

"You have a brother?" Wilbur asked, feeling more comfortable, he sat down on the bench. And Kristin joined him.

"Why haven't we met him?"

Phil shrugged. "He's the worst. Probably does drugs or some other crap now." Phil frowned at the notion.

"Oh. I guess I haven't really gave your family much thought. I kinda just assumed you were a loner that was just kinda there." Note to self: don't run into his uncle.

"That's..." Wil's dad trailed off. Making Kristin laugh.

"Y'know, before I found out you had kids, I kinda assumed you were like that too." She sided with Wilbur. Making him give Phil a cocky smile.

"Y'know, I'd like to prove you wrong but..." Phil didn't finish because Kristin started laughing again. Phil was trying to make her laugh all the time.

"So what, you just ran away from home?" Wil asked.

"I mean, yeah. But at least I waited until I was an adult, Wilbur." Phil shot him a look.

"Hey, it worked out in the end didn't it?" Wilbur defended himself. "I'm here, and things are okay, it's what she would've..." Wilbur stopped himself. Man, he used to be good at hiding things like this.

He expected at least one of them to pry, but they didn't. They just continued the conversation. They never left him behind, they gave him attention. They let him talk when he wanted to. No matter what he said. Phil was better when Kristin was around. Maybe that's what relationships are about. Someone who can appreciate you, and also make you a better person. Wilbur felt like Phil knew that. And Kristin was...

Wilbur liked Kristin. He really, really liked Kristin. She reminded him of someone.

His sister. She was like his sister.

But, his sister felt like family, though not the way Kristin felt. Wilbur couldn't place it. His sister was sisterly, while Kristin was... What was the word?

M̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶l̶y̶.

She felt like something Wilbur had never experienced before, so for him, there was no word for it.

Phil eventually cut their conversation short with saying that Wilbur had to go to bed, and giving Kristin a kiss.

Wilbur wasn't tired.

When they left, Kristin said that she wished him the best, and that school treats him well, and that his music can always improve. It was shockingly heartfelt.

When Phil took them home Wilbur slept better than he had in years. Feeling warm and loved and safe.

Phil slept just as well as Wilbur did, feeling proud of himself for making Wilbur feel good, and Kristin too.

Techno didn't sleep until early hours of the morning.

........................

I hope y'all are doing well! I did a lot of writing today so I'm feeling good.

I'mma get a eye doctor's appointment because I can't see very well if it's more than 10 ft away from my face. :P

Anyway,

Farewell Plerps!